george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #39
Poland vs Argentina
Wednesday, 30th November 2022
22:00 Local Time (19:00 GMT)
Doha

Referee: Danny Makkelie (NED)

Assistant Referee 1: Hessel Steegstra (NED)
Assistant Referee 2: Jan De Vries (NED)
Fourth Official: Said Martinez (HON)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Helpys Raymundo Feliz (DOM)
Video Assistant Referee: Paulus Van Boekel (NED)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Bastian Dankert (GER)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Juan Soto (VEN)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Anton Shchetinin (AUS)

The Referee Store
Very soft

Shown 2 angles, and not one we were shown as a replay which shows how soft it is

Is that clear and obvious? Probably careless, wouldn't have VAR involved. Not clever by the GK but we've often seen keepers get the benefit in these situations

Yes. But a foul non the less.
No ball. Acting without precaution. Contact, hand to face.
We don't give that. Forensically examined you have to.
And it's saaaaaved!!
Nah can't agree, there's contact sure but contact doesn't mean foul obviously. Again, we give this we give a foul every corner

Any other player catches an opponent in the face with a flailing hand anywhere else on the pitch we all give a foul. Why is a keeper different?

Yes. But a foul non the less.
No ball. Acting without precaution. Contact, hand to face.
We don't give that. Forensically examined you have to.
And it's saaaaaved!!
That’s the point. It’s trifling. You don’t give it.

It’s a whole new generation of diving in the box. And instead of the higher bar penalties that football expects, we now have a ridiculously low bar. And more feigning.

That’s the point. It’s trifling. You don’t give it.

It’s a whole new generation of diving in the box. And instead of the higher bar penalties that football expects, we now have a ridiculously low bar. And more feigning.
I can agree with this, buuut, if you see it anywhere else, any player, you give a careless foul because ultimately that is what it is.

there has to be a difference with keepers comoared to outfield players
Because? They are entitled to go for the ball with their hand, but they still can't catch someone on their face.
I don't agree with VAR getting involved here btw but that doesn't mean it isn't a careless foul.
Gone for the ball, missed it, caught opponent, it's a foul.

Implication is that a GK can’t dive to catch a ball or save a shot without risking a pen if his hand lands on an opponent. Do we expect keepers not to jump?

In some ways I am glad it was given.

Yes it's "soft", but we see it so often where an attacker is wiped out on the follow through and nothing gets given as it's deemed they had the scoring opportunity etc, which almost encourages the cheap late follow through as they know they will get away with it!

I think it if was called live, most of us would say it was soft (trifling), but not something that VAR could intervene on. VAR intervening to call it, to me, seems completely wrong. I would be surprised if the VAR works again in this WC.

Back