A&H

Pointless Courses

CO. DOWN REF

Level 7 Referee
Just read about @DanCohen17's pointless mentoring course. I've got to do a mandatory 90 minutes on report writing. 90 minutes, being taught how to write. Seriously. Why not just identify those referees who need support rather than employing a large sledgehammer?

The Referee Store
On my refereeing course (15 years ago) report writing was certainly covered as an important topic. Quite right too as it is an area where referees often encounter problems even with the most basic mistakes. I know a local coach who shares a surname with an extremely well known and successful Olympian. He was reported for some indiscretion but the referee quoted the name of the Olympian rather than the coaches name - case dismissed!

On my refereeing course (15 years ago) report writing was certainly covered as an important topic. Quite right too as it is an area where referees often encounter problems even with the most basic mistakes. I know a local coach who shares a surname with an extremely well known and successful Olympian. He was reported for some indiscretion but the referee quoted the name of the Olympian rather than the coaches name - case dismissed!

Mistaken identity isn't a get out of jail free card.
And if it was I'd immedietely be resubmitting the report with the correct name

Mistaken identity isn't a get out of jail free card.
And if it was I'd immedietely be resubmitting the report with the correct name

Agreed, but at the very least it casts doubt on the accuracy of any report. I have to say I've never experienced a situation where a referee has re-submitted a report, that sound like very shaky ground to me.

Back