A&H

Playing and refereeing

S

Sam Neal

Just wondering if anybody else on here plays as well as refereeing? How do you manage your playing and refereeing? I find they get in the way of each other.

The Referee Store
I had to give up playing when I started refereeing. It's hard to do the same leagues because players know you, plus as a player if a referee makes a mistake, you take it to heart more, because you know the laws of the game. If you can do both then fair play to you.:)

Yeah, I do find my respect for referees when playing has gone up a lot since I became a ref myself. I think I will have to make a decision on my playing career! :)

Yep I play and ref and it seems to be going OK. Usually ref on a Saturday and Sunday morning and then play on a Sunday afternoon. My respect for the ref has definitely gone up, and I always feel far less inclined to have a go at the ref, even on a day like today where I think he only gave one free kick all day and there could have been 100s! We won 5-1 though so I'm not complaining. In response to @Brian Hamilton as a goalkeeper I'd better make sure I don't DOGSO and get myself suspended!

I play I goal and referee. At the moment I am managing ok, normally refing on a Sunday morning and playing in an afternoon but I enjoy refing more and may soon have to make a tough decision. I also play rugby on a Saturday otherwise it would be easier, ref Saturday play Sunday. But the leagues that I ref in have been very understanding and I have managed to ref 14 games so far this season

Yes Tealeaf!

I stopped as soon as I started refereeing, not just because I e joyed it more, but It was too demanding to give 100% to a game in the morning and in the afternoon.

I'm still doing both, but i play at a higher standard than I referee at, but to be honest I rarely make myself available to play anymore, my tolerance level for some of the youngsters coming through has rapidly declined, absolutely no respect for older experienced and usually better players. God only knows what they're teaching them at some of these accademies , I'm sure some clubs only do it for the money!! God I'm getting old, but I find it more enjoyable reffing than playing now

I stopped playing when I started reffing - frankly because I hated everyone in my team! The one person I did like was also a ref, and he had to prioritise playing - and once he found out details of his game he would contact his referee's secretary who would give him something either before or after that at the same location.

Finally retired playing. 19 years lying do decided to focus on something I've got half a chance of getting to a good standard at

Matt, the sketch is one where Omid is playing and refereeing at the same time. For some reason, you tube versions of the sketch are restricted

I thought about trying to play on Sunday while refereeing on Saturday - but in the end decided to go with reffing men on Saturday and women on Sunday.

I still play indoor five-a-side (different rules from Futsal) though, and yes my tolerance for bad referees has gone down, but I speak more nicely to them when they make bad calls.

Back