A&H

Playing advantage

Here's a scenario; attacker is fouled right in front of the "dugouts" but the ball is travelling forwards the penalty area. I see another attacker rushing towards the ball, should he get there he would be 1-1 with the keeper and in an obvious goal scoring position.

I shout play-on advantage and indicate the correct signal. I did so to acknowledge the foul to all the supporters/managers/subs etc. Unfortunately, the ball is actually intercepted by the goal keeper, as no advantage has occurred i blew the whistle for a free kick, cautioned the defending player for the foul and restarted with a DFK.

Not sure it was the "right" thing but it allowed me to sell the decision to those watching

The Referee Store
Here's a scenario; attacker is fouled right in front of the "dugouts" but the ball is travelling forwards the penalty area. I see another attacker rushing towards the ball, should he get there he would be 1-1 with the keeper and in an obvious goal scoring position.

I shout play-on advantage and indicate the correct signal. I did so to acknowledge the foul to all the supporters/managers/subs etc. Unfortunately, the ball is actually intercepted by the goal keeper, as no advantage has occurred i blew the whistle for a free kick, cautioned the defending player for the foul and restarted with a DFK.

Not sure it was the "right" thing but it allowed me to sell the decision to those watching

Yes, it was the right thing. This is exactly how you do it.

It is very important to ensure that there a only a "few seconds" between the foul and the time you blow for the free kick. That is all the law allows. In your post you didn't indicate how long it took for the keeper to intercept but it sounds it was within a few seconds.

The process we follow here is different (but has the same outcome). We wait until advantage has ensued (the other attacker has gained control of the ball) before we signal/communicate advantage. That wait can take up to a few seconds. If this hasn't happened within a few second, e.g, the keeper has intercepted the ball, then there is no signal for advantage, just the whistle for the free kick. This process is more consistent with all other referee signals which indicate what has happens rather ran what is anticipated to happen.

If you indicate advantage has happened then the attacking team has benefited from play, bringing the ball back is giving them two bites at the cherry.

Back