A&H

Playing advantage to a team winning late on.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
So whats your thoughts on this.

A clear case to play advantage last night, blue player fouled half way line team mate picks up the ball with space and players ahead of him, a play advantage they mess it up.

Its no so much an issue of a team wanting best of both worlds here.

My point is although i made the right call by the laws of the game, do you move the goal posts depending on scoreline and time left in game.

Game was 1-1 at the time (found out afterwards the point did them going for the league) and say 6/7 minutes to go, im sure best result for the attacking team would have been the free kick to kill a bit of time.

The Referee Store
So whats your thoughts on this.

A clear case to play advantage last night, blue player fouled half way line team mate picks up the ball with space and players ahead of him, a play advantage they mess it up.

Its no so much an issue of a team wanting best of both worlds here.

My point is although i made the right call by the laws of the game, do you move the goal posts depending on scoreline and time left in game.

Game was 1-1 at the time (found out afterwards the point did them going for the league) and say 6/7 minutes to go, im sure best result for the attacking team would have been the free kick to kill a bit of time.
Whether or not to play advantage is based on the immediate situation - did they have an attacking opportunity by you doing so? If "yes", the advantage is the correct option.
The exception is that some teams will ask in advance that you keep advantage for them to a minimum, as they prefer the free kick anywhere near the opponents' goal.

Reactions: ARF
I did a team last night who were 90%, 6 footers and winning everything in the air. It became quite clear early on that the ‘advantage’ for them is giving the free kick straight away and allowing them to pump the ball into the box.

I wouldn’t say however the score line or time would have any impact on my decision to play advantage. Theoretically the game and time stops with any foul given so we shouldn’t be looking at it as an opportunity to kill time

I did a team last night who were 90%, 6 footers and winning everything in the air. It became quite clear early on that the ‘advantage’ for them is giving the free kick straight away and allowing them to pump the ball into the box.

I wouldn’t say however the score line or time would have any impact on my decision to play advantage. Theoretically the game and time stops with any foul given so we shouldn’t be looking at it as an opportunity to kill time
Why does time stop with any foul?
That's a natural stoppage in play so wouldn't be accounted for at the end.

Another vote with the majority here. You're not wrong to consider other factors, but once you start doing that, there are sooooooooooo many things you'll find yourself having to think about. And it's a decision that realistically, needs to be made in around a second, so that's not practical.

Just keep it simple and base your decision off what's literally in front of you.

Me thinks we are overthinking application of advantage.

Can't say I haven't been guilty of that in the past.

Why does time stop with any foul?
That's a natural stoppage in play so wouldn't be accounted for at the end.
Is that actually defined? I wouldn’t stop/start for every foul but in terms of a team leading late on and using a stoppage to essentially kill time as the OP put it, would we not consider this as ‘wasting time’ or ‘significant delay to a restart’?

Is that actually defined? I wouldn’t stop/start for every foul but in terms of a team leading late on and using a stoppage to essentially kill time as the OP put it, would we not consider this as ‘wasting time’ or ‘significant delay to a restart’?

You're changing the scenario. An attacking FK always takes up a certain amount of time. We only add time for excessive time taken on a restart. A team that is winning late in the game does not have to take the restart any more quickly than they did in the first half when the score was tied.

You're changing the scenario. An attacking FK always takes up a certain amount of time. We only add time for excessive time taken on a restart. A team that is winning late in the game does not have to take the restart any more quickly than they did in the first half when the score was tied.
I’m not changing the scenario. If we play advantage, or if we blow up for the free kick, the same amount of time is elapsing. The scenario mentioned above is a clear sign Of a promising attack and the only reason they’d want you to stop play is because they’ve messed up their opportunity after the advantage has been played. Saying to the winning side ‘I stopped your promising attack so you could stop the ball for 10/15 seconds (unless they then time waste or ‘kill time’) and let the defence set themselves again’ doesn’t seem like a better advantage at all for me

I’m not changing the scenario. If we play advantage, or if we blow up for the free kick, the same amount of time is elapsing. The scenario mentioned above is a clear sign Of a promising attack and the only reason they’d want you to stop play is because they’ve messed up their opportunity after the advantage has been played. Saying to the winning side ‘I stopped your promising attack so you could stop the ball for 10/15 seconds (unless they then time waste or ‘kill time’) and let the defence set themselves again’ doesn’t seem like a better advantage at all for me
thinking about it, not playing advantage on a promising attack would likely mean a caution for the defender, so you would actually have to stop time for ‘disciplinary sanctions’, whereas allowing the attack to progress would keep the clock moving and would waiver the caution, unless of course its RP so the clock would then be stopped after the advantage rather than instead of

Last edited:
thinking about it, not playing advantage on a promising attack would likely mean a caution for the defender, so you would actually have to stop time for ‘disciplinary sanctions’, whereas allowing the attack to progress would keep the clock moving and would waiver the caution, unless of course its RP so the clock would then be stopped after the advantage rather than instead of
This is exacly my point, the advantage was the right call in the laws of the game but they had lost the ball within 20 seconds or so.

A free kick for them, possibly a caution would probably have killed a minute and let them get a breather and re-group.

I still think i made the right call but the team would definitely have preferred the free kick.

This is exacly my point, the advantage was the right call in the laws of the game but they had lost the ball within 20 seconds or so.

A free kick for them, possibly a caution would probably have killed a minute and let them get a breather and re-group.

I still think i made the right call but the team would definitely have preferred the free kick.
If you decide to caution, that’s where the clock stops so if the consideration is down to keeping the clock moving, the advantage is the correct call.

but that would be incorrect in law, regardless of how long it takes.
Is there really any level of soccer anywhere that strictly applies the "all time lost" language of Law 7?

(Well, in the U.S. high school soccer, and I think college soccer, have the time on the stadium clock, and stop the clock instead of having added time, but then they don't use the LOTG at all.)

Is there really any level of soccer anywhere that strictly applies the "all time lost" language of Law 7?

(Well, in the U.S. high school soccer, and I think college soccer, have the time on the stadium clock, and stop the clock instead of having added time, but then they don't use the LOTG at all.)
Probably not, in the same manner that most referees don’t apply the six second rule for goalkeepers as well, but I’m not in agreement that we don’t stop the clock when we’re supposed to because it aids the attacking team, which is what has been described.

Back