The Ref Stop

Playing Advantage in the PL

• Thread starter Thread starter JH
  • Start date Start date

JH

RefChat Addict
The whole point of advantage is made a mockery of in the Premier League. Watching City - Arsenal now and there have been 4/5 possession based advantages, no advantage whatsoever for the attacking side. Why shouldn't top level referees be told to referee within the laws rather than what I expect is bowing down to pressure from the league to satisfy TV and clubs.

The Ref Stop
So you're upset because professional refs play advantage in situations where the players want advantage played?

If the team is going to play it short from the free kick anyway, then where is the benefit in stopping play and letting the defense get set-up?

Different in grassroots as they are very likely to mess-up and lose possession, or want to setup for a hoof into the box.

So you're upset because professional refs play advantage in situations where the players want advantage played?
They clearly didn't on a few occasions, Bernardo Silva had the ball and literally stood there for 3 seconds.

If the team is going to play it short from the free kick anyway, then where is the benefit in stopping play and letting the defense get set-up?
It's just really overused imo, you can see players get frustrated when there is no advantage to be had.

When I went and watched United Burnley at old Trafford last week, a Burnley player was fouled in the first half about 40 yards out but they managed to retain possession and get the ball back to the centre back in their own half. Jon Moss then showed his advantage signal. Nobody can possible say that Burnley wouldn’t want the free kick in that scenario but there does seems to be a ‘possession means advantage’ scenario 3 or 4 times per prem match.

I feel like they use the signal to show players and fans that they’ve seen the foul and save themselves and earache rather than to play advantage most of the time

It isn't just the Premier League, I found when I went from L4 to L3 the players often didn't want the game stopping and would rather you play advantage. Depended on the game as the pitches are a bit ropey at some Isthmian D1 grounds, but some are like carpets in the next division and the skill levels much higher. Certainly when I did Football League Under 23 games they always wanted advantage and I'd get grief if I stopped play unnecessarily.

Referees exist for football, not the other way around, so if the clubs, players and spectators want the game kept flowing that is what should happen where possible. Obviously this doesn't work at grass roots as skill levels are much lower so to play advantage it really does need to be clear in terms of both possession and position. As bester said, at top levels the team will usually play a short free kick if given the foul, so why bother? Whereas at grass roots they are far more likely to play it long so the free kick is better.

Am not watching
But i refuse to believe there are 4/5 advantages in a game

Each game has to be taken on merit. In one step 3 game I played 11 advantages (the observer was counting not me ..!), one of these led directly to a goal and two others led to attacks on goal. The pitch was perfect, the teams well behaved and playing a short passing game rather than hoofing it. Everyone was happy, I got a good mark in that section, managers praised me and I even got compliments in the bar after. The same observer saw me the following season at a step 4 game when I played no advantages even though there were opportunities to do so. Cabbage patch pitch, poor skill level and clumsy players meant that was the right thing to do, again praised by the observer (although the players hated me that day and I didn't stay around long enough to find out what the supporters thought ..!).

Interesting debate i had recently regarding advantage, It doesn't say anywhere in LOTG about how long to play in a game regarding advantage.

If you're a team say one goal ahead with two minutes left (take it to the corner time) and you get a player fouled the likelihood is you dont want advantage, you want the foul to try and kill another 30 seconds or so.

Anyone had an incident like that ?

Each game has to be taken on merit. In one step 3 game I played 11 advantages (the observer was counting not me ..!), one of these led directly to a goal and two others led to attacks on goal. The pitch was perfect, the teams well behaved and playing a short passing game rather than hoofing it. Everyone was happy, I got a good mark in that section, managers praised me and I even got compliments in the bar after. The same observer saw me the following season at a step 4 game when I played no advantages even though there were opportunities to do so. Cabbage patch pitch, poor skill level and clumsy players meant that was the right thing to do, again praised by the observer (although the players hated me that day and I didn't stay around long enough to find out what the supporters thought ..!).

So u played 11 advatage, 3 were actual advantage. 8 were not and should have been fks?

Bad ratio

Given the average fouls total in a epl game is 8.....i really cant see how in any game 11 advantages can be played
Of course yhtbt...

Last edited:
So u played 11 advatage, 3 were actual advantage. 8 were not and should have been fks?

Bad ratio

No, the others were advantage but didn't lead to an attempt on goal. There's no criteria to say that you can only play advantage if it will end in a shot at goal.

No, the others were advantage but didn't lead to an attempt on goal. There's no criteria to say that you can only play advantage if it will end in a shot at goal.

Total agree, but it still sounds like ball retention rather than, advantage

Interesting debate i had recently regarding advantage, It doesn't say anywhere in LOTG about how long to play in a game regarding advantage.

If you're a team say one goal ahead with two minutes left (take it to the corner time) and you get a player fouled the likelihood is you dont want advantage, you want the foul to try and kill another 30 seconds or so.

Anyone had an incident like that ?

If a team is killing time in the corner at the end of the game the last thing on your mind should be advantage, and if anything you should be looking for a reason to find a free kick.

Unless u reffing barca with Messi or Juve with CR7....are they better off (advantage)

Or just got the ball and keep playing!

I played 11 advantages (the observer was counting not me ..!),

I thought I was doing okay with 6 in one match, one that lead to a goal! Mine was on a 3G, neither team wanted to stop-start, was a very good game. Haven't had many opportunities to play it in the last two or three games sadly.

Unless u reffing barca with Messi or Juve with CR7....are they better off (advantage)

Or just got the ball and keep playing!

Well, they might have the Messi for that level and they might be the 'Barcelona' of that tier. So in that case, sure, possession might be the advantage for them.

I think it's always best to be flexible on that, judge each match on its merits etc as Rusty alludes to.

If a team is killing time in the corner at the end of the game the last thing on your mind should be advantage, and if anything you should be looking for a reason to find a free kick.

I didnt mean thats where the incident had taken place it was an example of the time on the clock and game situation.

The players want the ref to understand the game when it comes to advantages. Even at grass roots it should be pretty clear within a minute or two whether each team wants advantage to be played wherever possible or if they want the game stopped. Quality of opposition, pitch conditions, game time (ie city wanted advantage tosay but if it's 1-0 with two mins to go City will want the free kick instead).

As a player it used to infuriate me when play was stopped unnecessarily. Not just because there was the chance to keep it flowing but also because it gives you the impression that the Ref doesn't understand the game. Now I'm a ref I understand that often it's a tactic to stop the game and blow for the slightest of fouls in certain situations for match control, but as a player you don't think like that and you assume that the ref has no empathy or understanding for the match.

Back