A&H

Playing Advantage in the Penalty Area ...........

Think Phil Dowd gave one at Old Trafford for Man u last season , advantage played shot blocked , penalty .........

The Referee Store
I'm all for keeping the game flowing and always look to playing advantage when the game allows it. I've no problem with anyone trying to play an advantage in the penalty area, what I have seen too often is a referee trying to play advantage and then allowing too much time elapse before then blowing for a penalty. They then encounter problems trying to sell the decision as they've allowed play to go on for too long.
im talking seconds Ross not a passage of play....!! now im getting defensive ...and backed into a corner lol

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree with you more @Beezer, IMO you can't give the advantage and then when he misses bring it back for a penalty, that's just not right. I don't mind playing advantage but when the player misses that's it, that's why I always give a penalty unless the ball is nearly in the goal.

I had one once, U14 player handles the ball on the line, appeals for a penalty start but one smart attacker puts the ball in the nett so I give the goal, meaning I didn't have to send off for DOGSO. I only had one complaint and that was from the attacker who took the original shot, he wanted the penalty (I'm guessing he was the penalty taker). There really is no pleasing some people.

The question to ask yourself is, did the foul directly contribute to the miss (off balance player etc). If so bring it back give the pen plus disciplinary sanction. If the player has opportunity to reset his balance etc then play advantage player, but no second bite of the cherry if he doss not score, the fouling defender may still get a caution.

As said above, it more or less comes down to time.

The attacker player is the victim of foul play and should not be disadvantaged by the defenders foul.

the problem is, techincally having the shot counts as his advantage - if he misses then that is his problem - but on the other hand you have the fact that the defending player has tripped him?

another sub debate...if you do play the advantage and he scores - will you remember to go back and caution the defender?

The question to ask yourself is, did the foul directly contribute to the miss (off balance player etc). If so bring it back give the pen plus disciplinary sanction. If the player has opportunity to reset his balance etc then play advantage player, but no second bite of the cherry if he doss not score, the fouling defender may still get a caution.

As said above, it more or less comes down to time.

The attacker player is the victim of foul play and should not be disadvantaged by the defenders foul.

You're saying 'caution', monkey, but surely a red for dogso is also an option if the attacker doesn't score

True enough haywain.

@Charlie Jones you don't want to reward bad behaviour. If the attacker shoots but is obviously hindered by the foul there is no advantage. It's a wait and see moment rather than true advantage being played. Poor refereeing to not bring it back.

I'm only ever playing advantage in the area if the player has got a free stab at an open goal otherwise penalty. Too much hassle otherwise.

The problem is the phrase playing advantage. On Saturday - attacker fouled on the goal line just outside 6 yard box. Whistle to lips moving towards spot of foul pointing at the incident. He still gets his cross in which dribbles across the box and it is smashed home by a gleeful team mate. The fouled player was about to scream at me for not giving the penalty, realised what had happened, thanks me for playing advantage.

If no goal was scored (for whatever reason) I was giving the penalty. As it stands advantage. Wait and see refereeing.

If they've got the ball in the net quicker than you've got the whistle in your mouth and blown it then fair enough I guess, otherwise a pen all day :p

Back