A&H

Playing Advantage in the Penalty Area ...........

Beezer

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Gents , this topic has caused me the most hassle with players for years .....(apart from handball)

If a forward player is fouled in the penalty area and manages to stay on his feet or get back on the ball after a shirt pull........ or whatever scenario .......then shoot wide or have his shot saved , I will always come back and award a penalty ....as I feel the attacking player has to gain an advantage from the situation ....if this means a free shot from 12 yards out then so be it ...

Obviously it usually ends in at least one defender in the book for dissent

defending side seem to think the player is getting 2 chances to score!! my normal reply is "yes he is"

It is something I was pulled up on by an assessor on a 7-6 game because the player ran through and missed .

I realise every situation is different but still feel that its always got to be a Pen unless the guy scores .....it may also stop players diving so much if they know the penalty is coming if they miss ??

Any thoughts ??

The Referee Store
The scenario I am trying to explain is the through on goal one , wait a couple of seconds , miss , or save , come back for the pen

if it was out wide with a box full of players then its a simple penalty

The opposing team still never understand though , no matter how you explain it

If you give advantage in pen you give one chance and one chance only because as people say your making a rod for your own back. Or really what I tend to do is just give the pen because a shot from 12 yards would be better.

Last edited:
I'd always give a penalty straight away - the attacking team will never complain about it, and if im honest - the defending team cant moan! (they may if he doesnt go down, but the law doesnt state the player has to go down lol)

Of course if the man is through on goal and there is a foul on him by a defender which you blow for a penalty, mr red card is also likely coming out to play :)

I would blow for the pen. I think the chance for some one to have a toe punt from 12 yards far outweighs most advantages I could play. But I'll never say never to letting an advantage.

Cheers for you thoughts guys and girls , its a situation that has only happened a handful of times ........but if someone has burst a gut to get into the box , jinked past the defender got clipped or kicked and kept going im giving him the chance to bang it in the net and get his goal ......... if I blow too quick for the pen , the fat useless captain with the big mouth takes the penalty and gets his name in the local papers ......very unfair................ lol................

This will cause a stir but, if he's not going down then I'm not giving it. I should be, but I couldn't let him carry on take a shot, miss and still then give a pen.

I am aware I'm punishing these honest souls that stay on their feet!

Aha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave........ you have played right into my point , much as we referees don't like to admit it .....a foul in the area is harder to give than elsewhere as the consequences of giving it are greater if a player has to ride a tackle in midfield I personally , see if the player can keep good possession and if not call it back for the foul , should be the same in the area , alas , this is not always the case

Original point let the guy shoot , no goal .....call back the pen ... possibly no need to sanction the defender as not DOGSO if you can sell that it seems a bit fairer than awarding a penalty and having to bin the defender
every situation I different I agree but I think in general , it might be a good way to deal with it ?? fair to the attacking team and gives the tackler a bit of a fighting chance

IMHO craig thinking about a proper advantage in the penalty area , its either a penalty or a goal , as most penalties are scored , I understand its two bites at the cherry , but surely if you take out the hassle it causes the referee and can tell the players "yes guys we shall have that back for the penalty.""...." but as he got a shot off I don't need to send your centre half off "

Logic , common sense , fairness all rolled into one , and we could sell that easily !!!! probably after a few yellows lol

But this is not common sence 9 times out 10 a player will go too ground or even if he does stand he will miss that shot that is why Id say always blow for pen then no one will moan

Can't help but be reminded of this goal. Great advantage played by Chris Foy
Skip to around 3 minutes

If that close to goal then yes Id give the advantage but I'd say anything grassroots wise just call pen

Craig I agree totally with you its much easier , but I really don't have any problem giving a striker a chance if its there , then selling the pen if he misses ..... he lost his stride from the foul taking him closer to the keeper !! still off balance when he shot , lost his advantageous angle ........ as I say only happened 5 or 6 times and players moan about penalties no matter what the situation is ......

IF NO ONE AGREES WITH ME ON THIS.......... I HEREBY SWEAR........ THAT...... I WILL NEVER GIVE AN ADVANTAGE IN THE PENALTY AREA AGAIN ..................

SOMEONE HELP ME OUT .................PLEASE

I'm all for keeping the game flowing and always look to playing advantage when the game allows it. I've no problem with anyone trying to play an advantage in the penalty area, what I have seen too often is a referee trying to play advantage and then allowing too much time elapse before then blowing for a penalty. They then encounter problems trying to sell the decision as they've allowed play to go on for too long.

Back