A&H

Open Age Playground near by

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
I've just had contact from the home team for my next match. I've noticed on their website it says:

The pitch runs parallel with a children's playground and if the weather is fine, it is usually busy. We therefore ask that we all do our very best to control any 'colourful' language that might accompany a competitive contest!

Before the game Ill have a chat with the managers to remind, same again with the captains in the middle, I was also thinking about shouting loudly 'mind your language guys' as a warning if I ever heard any swearing.

Other than that is there anything else anyone can recommend?
Should I reduce my tolerance?
If the swearing isn't dissentful could you give a yellow for USB?

The Referee Store
Obviously the home team will be aware of the situation.

The thing is you cant referee it any differently than you would to any normal game you do just because of whats next to the pitch.

Obviously the home team will be aware of the situation.

The thing is you cant referee it any differently than you would to any normal game you do just because of whats next to the pitch.

Exactly, the laws dont change. Same league, diff 2 teams 2mile down road, same laws!!

The lotg tell you what modifications to make, having a playground next door is not one of them.

I presume this is open age. Don't think I've ever had a men's game where a swear word hasn't been used in any context.

You can ask the players to be respectful of the request but in terms of any disciplinary action I wouldn't bother unless it's dissent or OFFINABUS

Use the tools at your disposal, no difference to any other game... nothing wrong with Industrial language, it’s all about context and verocity etc.... if you think you can stop it all then good luck....

We've had a debate on here about who has to be offended for the "OFF" in OFFINABUS to be met. If you as the referee are offended, it's easy - red. If you're not offended, but a 5 year old kid in a playground next to the pitch (or their parent shocked at what the kid might have heard) is offended, are you obliged to then act?

We've had a debate on here about who has to be offended for the "OFF" in OFFINABUS to be met. If you as the referee are offended, it's easy - red. If you're not offended, but a 5 year old kid in a playground next to the pitch (or their parent shocked at what the kid might have heard) is offended, are you obliged to then act?

I think it has to be approached with a degree of common sense.

We can't deal with everything that someone might find offensive. But, in this type of situation we do have to take into account those who might be near by. Although I'm not suggesting that every player who swears gets sent off.

Some of the little f*****s around here on playgrounds would teach the players a few swearwords i'm sure!!!

Back