A&H

Players talk!

I never mentioned dissent that has arisen from whatever decision you have made. I'm on about for a sole call of mine/leave it. How often do you award an IDFK and caution for USB due to a player intending to deceive using the words mine/leave it? And if you have often, how are you 100% confident that he intended to deceive?
As I say, never so far. There was one incident very early on in my career where I think in retrospect I maybe should have acted (knowing the law better now), but even that's still borderline in my head. As I know/understand the laws now, it has to be deliberate and I don't think I've ever seen a mine/leave it used deliberately to deceive.

As I said, I've had multiple players appealing for it - 2 of who wouldn't drop the issue, hence the cautions for dissent. It's a common myth, so I think it's worth knowing the law backwards so you can be confident when not acting.

The Referee Store
As I know/understand the laws now, it has to be deliberate and I don't think I've ever seen a mine/leave it used deliberately to deceive.
There's nothing in the Laws about it having to be used deliberately to deceive. The only requirement is that it distracts the opponent. As with most offences (with the obvious exceptions) the referee only has to judge the effect, not the intent.

I had this happen last Sunday in a U10's. Keeper shouts leave it to his 2 defenders. There were no opposition near him but everyone heard it. Opposing player shouts obstruction! Free-kick! I stated he hadn't done anything wrong but advised him to put his name/keepers on the ball. That way there's no confusion. Then finished with, 'Don't worry, we're always learning'. I got a round of applause off the parents & coaches! I was a chuffed ref.

There's nothing in the Laws about it having to be used deliberately to deceive. The only requirement is that it distracts the opponent. As with most offences (with the obvious exceptions) the referee only has to judge the effect, not the intent.

So if a player unintentionally distracts a player, you'll caution him?

Well, here's what the law says:
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:
• verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

I don't know about you but I don't see anything there about intent. It's the same principle as a careless tackle that ends up tripping an opponent. We're not supposed to judge whether the player intended to trip the opponent, only if the opponent was actually tripped.

Now having said that, I would make a couple of other points. In my experience this is a very rare offence and I never have actually cautioned a player for doing this. In many cases where it might be a possible consideration, I reckon it could very easily fall into the category of a "doubtful or trivial" offence and so I would be inclined to warn a player first and only if they continued with the same behaviour after that, think about moving on to a caution.

I am reminded of one occasion when I did warn a player for what was a possible case of unintentional distraction. It was a girls U16 game and there was one player who had a habit of giving a little shriek every time she went in for what looked like it might be a tough challenge. It seemed to be almost involuntary on her part and I couldn't say absolutely 100% for sure that it was distracting her opponents but it looked to me like it might cause some of them to hesitate slightly. I warned her about it and she stopped doing it. Had she continued to do it after being warned and if at that point I judged that it actually had distracted an opponent, I would eventually have cautioned her, even though as I said, she seemed to be doing it as more of a nervous reaction and not with an intent to distract.

So yes, I would certainly consider cautioning a player for verbally distracting, judged according to its effect on the opponent alone, with intent not entering into the equation.

A slightly different take on this: a real situation happened to me several years ago whilst playing left back in a big game. A very good player stormed down the wing. I was back tracking and at a crucial point he not only dummied an inside pass but called out a name "Steve". Needless to say I took the dummy and he went straight on to score. I always thought that it was brilliant play from him but can the nightmares of that game now end? Should the goal have not counted and should he have been booked? For the record, there was no Steve!!

Ooooh, that's a good question! As the referee, you've got no way of knowing that "Steve" is entirely fictional and I don't see how you would be expected to caution the player for that. It's much more of a grey area than some of the cases discussed above though.

The usual shout most players use is "SIDS" or "JACKS" when they wish a teammate to "leave it"

Back