The Ref Stop

players sneaking into the other half from KO

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
I notice a lot, in my games and others, basically at any level below the professional game, that at every KO at least one or two players routinely get into their opponents half before the ball is kicked.

Often it's not even that marginal, but I've been treating it like penalty encroachment and if it doesn't make an impact just having a quick word with the player as the game goes on. Because honestly I'd never get half my games finished...

The Ref Stop
I tend to find that if someone is really taking the mickey with it then the other team won't take the kick off until they've been moved back.
I think your approach is spot on though. If there's no impact, the other team won't thank you for making them take kick off again.

I tend to find that if someone is really taking the mickey with it then the other team won't take the kick off until they've been moved back.
I think your approach is spot on though. If there's no impact, the other team won't thank you for making them take kick off again.

It's usually the players of the team taking the kickoff who encroach.

It's usually the players of the team taking the kickoff who encroach.
Sorry yeah I'm on about when it happens the other way round. If attacking players encroach early I'm more likely to pull it back and have it retaken but it depends on the severity of the encroachment and if there is an impact. If it's on my side, I sometimes just tell them to wait for a second or 2 before continuing their run.

I had to caution the offender for it once after the third attempt at kick off before they stopped doing it. U18 game.

If the tactic at one kick of is the second or third touch is a long pass to the wings deep in opponent half, make sure you keep an eye for it for the next kick off. They need to take off early to get there quick. And it's usually the winger behind you who does it thinking they won't get detected.

In terms of impact, you can't really wait that long to make a decision to pull it back. Just stop them from doing it.

Problem with that is the impact might come 10 seconds later. If the defending team know a player was in the wrong half at kick off, and that player pings a cross in for someone to score, you are going to get a lot of noise.

Problem with that is the impact might come 10 seconds later. If the defending team know a player was in the wrong half at kick off, and that player pings a cross in for someone to score, you are going to get a lot of noise.
I'm on about if we're talking less than a yard. If it's excessive then we'll deal with it.

Back