A&H

Players going off feet

SM

The avuncular one
Starting to get annoyed by player ignorance over what is a foul.

A player running by the side of an opponent slides in front of himself. He goes off his feet, quite controlled, both feet forward and hooks the ball into touch. No contact with opponent. No risk to any other player at all. That is apparently a two footed lunge and worthy of a red card.

Different situation. Players sliding into challenge (one footed) in a controlled manner, stopping well before the opponent (no follow through), winning the ball, no contact with anyone else, studs down. That is apparently a red card or at least a yellow and a foul.

I know we want to eliminate dangerous challenges from the game but some players are thick as :poop:

The Referee Store
Had this at the weekend, EVERY sliding challenge was greeted with shouts of TWO FEET or THATS A RED. I do think so many football pundits are to blame. As soon as they can freeze frame a player with both feet a centimetre off the ground the likes of robbie savage will be saying its a red. That said the number of players that think they can fly into a tackle like a freight train, clatter the player, but if they get a feather touch on the ball then it can't be a foul.

On the point of players not being too clever, I blew for a push at the weekend and had the offender look stunned, I told him he was pushing the defender in the back. He then said a push he'd need to use both hands like this and went to put his hands on me. Not threatening at all, but before he did I told him it would be in his best interest to not put his hands on me as my patience was wearing very thin and there was a good chance he'd end up ending the game early!

Last edited:
I have to say I really don't like players leaving the floor for a tackle, I'm not saying that I would disagree with the examples given above, especially if there is obviously no contact but I still feel uneasy about them. There is an element of not being in control when tackling off of terra firma that always makes them a gamble.

For example in one of my last games in Pembs, I was Ref'ing Greens and an opposition player was making a break in midfield. Green Player spots it and leaps across to stop him, wins the ball first but catches the guy on the follow through, resulting in the player needing treatment. I immediately book him and give a free kick which results in bedlam, when I explained to the player that it was a reckless challenge despite winning the ball he couldn't see it, I told him he had left the floor meaning a lot of momentutum behind him he was taking either the ball or the man, a split second later he would hit have come on the guys leg and he'd have really hurt, not just a quick wipe with a magic sponge.

Starting to get annoyed by player ignorance over what is a foul.

A player running by the side of an opponent slides in front of himself. He goes off his feet, quite controlled, both feet forward and hooks the ball into touch. No contact with opponent. No risk to any other player at all. That is apparently a two footed lunge and worthy of a red card.

Different situation. Players sliding into challenge (one footed) in a controlled manner, stopping well before the opponent (no follow through), winning the ball, no contact with anyone else, studs down. That is apparently a red card or at least a yellow and a foul.

I know we want to eliminate dangerous challenges from the game but some players are thick as :poop:

It's not just the players; you have to know that they've been done for it in the past by an ignorant referee.

I have to say I really don't like players leaving the floor for a tackle, I'm not saying that I would disagree with the examples given above, especially if there is obviously no contact but I still feel uneasy about them. There is an element of not being in control when tackling off of terra firma that always makes them a gamble.

For example in one of my last games in Pembs, I was Ref'ing Greens and an opposition player was making a break in midfield. Green Player spots it and leaps across to stop him, wins the ball first but catches the guy on the follow through, resulting in the player needing treatment. I immediately book him and give a free kick which results in bedlam, when I explained to the player that it was a reckless challenge despite winning the ball he couldn't see it, I told him he had left the floor meaning a lot of momentutum behind him he was taking either the ball or the man, a split second later he would hit have come on the guys leg and he'd have really hurt, not just a quick wipe with a magic sponge.
Been there more than once, the great tackle/horrible follow through challenge. "He got the ball ref! Never a foul!" :) that said before I read the laws of the game I thought as long as you got the ball first.... ;)

I do agree about players taking off into tackles, especially head on challenges. Sliding is slightly different. Not two footed, keep your studs down, making no contact with the opponent I can live with.

Back