A&H

Player with name Ref !

PhilH

Newbie ref here, did a game this morning and got so used to hearing the coach calling out to his number 7 called Ref , that when he was trying to get my attention for subs I ended up just ignoring him as thought he was calling to his player. Oh, sorry coach, dont recall telepathy being in Law 18.
What have I let myself in for!

Anyone else has this delightful experience?

The Referee Store
Not refereeing but I had a customer last week of African origin with a surname Shomefun..... imagine receiving that name on a booking! :angel: Name? Shomefun! :blackeye:

Newbie ref here, did a game this morning and got so used to hearing the coach calling out to his number 7 called Ref , that when he was trying to get my attention for subs I ended up just ignoring him as thought he was calling to his player. Oh, sorry coach, dont recall telepathy being in Law 18.
What have I let myself in for!

Anyone else has this delightful experience?

Had a funny one earlier in season, keeper screams out ref ref ref, for some reason don’t ask my why I decided to blow the whistle he sounded in distress.

Turns out he was shouting to his defence press press press, que the embarrassment.

Could have Shomefun with that name!

I found it a bit distracting as I was thinking had I missed something, but then I just switched off as if there was a glass wall around the playing area.
Forgettable game though, only highlights were a couple of screamers from DFKs that went in and a goalkeeper clearance bouncing onto the bar.
Pitch inspection took me an age as council mowers had shredded everything in sight.

Last edited:
Yeah, had a game recently where one team had a player who went by "Raf" and the other team were palying in red, so lots of calls of "red! red!" when they were appealing for throws. Same as the OP, I just ended up ignoring everything.

Back