A&H

player refusing to give hes name

Anthony Green

Level 7 Referee
hello guys

these situation has come across me a few times in my refereeing career i have been a level 7 referee for 7 years now

I always wondered how i could handle the situation were a player refuses to give me hes name.what i do is warn him saying if you dont give me your name your get sent of but what is the correct procedure. is it classed as 2 yellows for refusing to give hes name or a straight red and how you report it .

Thanks

The Referee Store
hello guys

these situation has come across me a few times in my refereeing career i have been a level 7 referee for 7 years now

I always wondered how i could handle the situation were a player refuses to give me hes name.what i do is warn him saying if you dont give me your name your get sent of but what is the correct procedure. is it classed as 2 yellows for refusing to give hes name or a straight red and how you report it .

Thanks

Something similar has happened to me only once in 3 years.
Player told me his name was Arnold Schwarzenegger!! :rolleyes: He even kept a straight face as he said it!! :hmmm:

My response (rightly or wrongly) was:
"Okay Mr Schwarzenegger, I'm cautioning you for a bordering-on-reckless challenge. Bearing in mind that I've seen the team sheet and your number, I'm going to ask you one more time to give me your proper name. If you don't, I'll issue you a second caution for dissent followed by a red card".
His team captain had by now jogged over and heard the exchange. ""Wilky, don't be a ****", he said. "Ref, his name is ......... (data protection etc.).
"I need to hear that from you fella" I replied.
"Wilky" then decided to grow up a bit, apologised and gave me his name. Had he not, I'd have sent him from the field as promised.

I've no time for petulant young men who show no respect for the game. :cool:

If i was to say that i find it offensive when someone refuses to give me their name, can i sell it as a straight red for offinabus?

Although 2 offenses may have occurred, it is just that - 2 seperate offenses, so you deal with them as such. If these two equl red then so be it, but you can;t clump them together.

Got to remeber that the showing of the card is not neccessarily for the benefit of the player receiveing them, but for everyone else, and all they will see is a straight red!

Cue pandamonium!

two offenses, get ne out quickly for the challenge, ask name, not given, there;s your second and a cherry.

I had one who tried to walk off so i calledthe skipper over to get the players name instead. He got the player over pretty quick. As above, use the captain and then if it is the captain go to the coach.

If it is the captain who refuses to give his name, don't bother wasting your time going to anyone else; a loud warning that your patience is wearing thread bare thin then 3 card trick and off he goes (original offence caution, second caution for dissent by action, follow up cherry for 2 cautions)

Asking his coach just sets you up for further problems and in my opinion looks very weak. Set your stall out nice and clearly and walk him.

I'd log the caution under Club, Schwarzenegger, A and let the club explain to the FA why they've got such a smart arsed little pr*ck on their crew when they can't find Arnie's registration. I'd say that'll be a MasterCard moment for £100.

Maybe, but then effectively the club gets the hassle and punishment rather than the smart arse.

Maybe, but then effectively the club gets the hassle and punishment rather than the smart arse.
It is the club's responsibility to manage their player's indiscipline and the procedure as set out by @CO. DOWN REF is correct. report the name as given and let the County FA sort out the mess.

If the club has to sort out this mess, you can guarantee this player won't be appearing for them too often from that point onwards.

An alternative to taking the false name is to go through the steps by giving the player, captain and coach all the opportunity to give you the correct name. Harder work but slightly more satisfying, especially when you tell the player he needs to thank whoever gave you his correct name for keeping him out of a lot of trouble. Players like this often have a problem with their discipline and I'm sure he would commit another offence worthy of a caution before the game ends.

I see what your saying what would you do if the player says Iam not giving you my name how world you report this to the county after sending the player off

I see what your saying what would you do if the player says Iam not giving you my name how world you report this to the county after sending the player off
Send it in as as Unnamed Player and document that he refused to give his name. Should be worth an extra couple of games off

It is the club's responsibility to manage their player's indiscipline and the procedure as set out by @CO. DOWN REF is correct. report the name as given and let the County FA sort out the mess.

If the club has to sort out this mess, you can guarantee this player won't be appearing for them too often from that point onwards.

I agree. Somebody else I spoke to told me the same thing for what it's worth.
It still calls into question the wisdom of allowing a player to give his name as "Arnold Schwarzenegger" and then carry on playing because you haven't then red-carded him for dissent though?

What I did on that particular day worked for me though. :)

Send it in as as Unnamed Player and document that he refused to give his name. Should be worth an extra couple of games off

This has always been my approach. Cautioning a second time just makes things difficult. Refusing to give a name is listed as a separate misconduct offence; report as such.

This has always been my approach. Cautioning a second time just makes things difficult. Refusing to give a name is listed as a separate misconduct offence; report as such.

I'm all for keeping things simple chaps, but to be honest, I'd rather always apply the LOTG as my "defence" in this instance and isuue a red.
This player (having just recieved a caution) is then guilty of dissent, USB (?) and showing a lack of respect for the game. To me, the correct action should be a red card. Presumably this player would also refuse to give his name for the red card as well, which would then be a seperate misconduct offence?
Nobody's perfect....... :D

On a side note I once issued a 2nd caution for a team and player gave me same name as first player who was cautioned.

After my polite enquiry if that really was his name, both players assured me that they DID indeed have the same name!

What about players who look over your shoulder at your notebook? Earlier this season I had a similar situation. Asked his name after a FT. He said 'it's number 7 as on the teamsheet and tried to look down my notebook. I asked him to 'clarify his name' which he gave. Previously I had 'wayne rooney given to me. I just defused it by saying, you're no rooney'. Real name given laughs all around and 11x11 on the pitch.

If he doesn't give a name, report him as his shirt number and note that he gave no name.

If he gives a false name, report him as that name and then write a separate report for the team not having filled in the team lines correctly.

That's my viewpoint anyway.

According to the old FA Disciplinary Handbooks up till 2012, "Refusing to give name (or giving false name) when ordered to do so" carried a 21-day suspension. Subsequent versions do not contain the same level of detail on the various misconduct offences and the sanctions that apply but I suspect it might still be something along the same lines.

I had that exact problem this weekend...

Attacking player closed down a defender and fouled him just inside his penalty area... It was bordering a cautionable offence but I was lenient; I called him over and stated it was his first and last warning. His manager on the sidelines tells him to calm down, his response was "I couldn't give a s**t". Now, I heard this but decided to ignore it, it was a conversation between him and his manager and one that I could have had a further word with him about, but he seemed a bit annoyed at the fact I'd just penalised him. So, another mental note saved. Game continues.

A few minutes later, same player makes a challenge on the halfway line by jumping in shoulder first. He knocks the player over and player holds his face. I call in the medical staff and straight away I call over the offender. I deem the challenge to be reckless and a worthy of a caution, especially considering I'd only had words a few minutes prior.

I ask the player to come to me... He ignores me. On the fifth attempt, he finally comes over. He's pretty annoyed as you can tell, he just seemed to be that type of character. I point to his first offence, then his second and state that he'd had his final warning and that he was now to be cautioned. I ask for his name... Nothing. I ask again... Nothing. I'm starting to lose patience now I ask him a further three times. He finally gives me his name, albeit reluctantly. As I begin to pull the yellow from my pocket, through a few players he tries to knock the cards out of my hand. The caution was given despite not being able to get the card out. I then decided enough is enough and make him aware that he is now being sent off and he's to leave the field in the direction of the changing rooms... A yellow and then a straight red... Absolutely no need whatsoever for it to get out of hand like that.

The crazy thing was, he then left the field and started pulling posts out the ground and smashing up the changing room, causing damage to the doors. I'm guessing someone didn't get what they wanted off Santa!!

As I sent him off, I then had another player come round from behind me... "You c**t, are you going to send me off now? C***, c**" he kept repeating that word until I asked his name, which he gave me, then he stared again and carried on after I produced the red up until he left the pitch.

I've been playing football for over twelve years, I only referee when I haven't got a game on Saturdays, I also referee on Sunday's. In all those years, I've never seen behaviour like that!!

Sorry to hear about your game. The sheer stupidity behind this sort of match is what frustrates me these days. Haven't seen anything like that in outdoor, but seen it on multiple occasions in Futsal. Mindboggling.

Back