The Ref Stop

Player refuses to leave FOP following treatment

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
In Law 3 it says that a player who has received attention on the pitch for an injury must leave the FOP. If they refuse, it's a caution for USB.

If they still refuse, is it a second caution?

The Ref Stop
I’d definitely back a second caution in such circumstances. Either delaying the restart, or USB, take your pick. I’d reeeeeally be leaning on the physio or captain to help out here, but if they keep refusing then eventually that elastic is going to snap.

Yes. Very unlikely to happen, but it would be a second caution.

A couple of years ago I had an incident in a step 5 game. 5 minutes to go, striker wants a corner and I give goal kick. Striker goes apoplectic. I call him in to warn him regarding dissent at which point he responds 'just f*cking sin bin me then' and started walking off to sit in the stand. I said 'ok then I will' as I showed the yellow card to his back as he walked off (I'm not making any friends there for calling him back to confirm details and show the card to his face) and with 5 minutes to go he won't be playing any further part.
2 minutes later, AR1 flags me and tells me he's back on the pitch. I stopped play and called him over, cautioned him for re-entering without permission. He responded 'but you didn't tell me I was sin-binned'. I said that's because you didn't hang around long enough to find out. It is what it is, you've now been sin binned and cautioned, so I'd suggest you leave the FOP. He would not accept it and wouldn't leave and in the end I had to show him a second caution and send him off.

I'd like to think I've maybe learned some better management techniques and may deal with it differently now, however I do believe that this was a problem entirely of the players own making.

Reactions: Kes
If players insist or continue and not comply then it leaves no option for the referee to give the second caution.

However two successive cautions for the same offence on the same incident is something we should really try and avoid by better management. Dissent is another one. At times like this player stubbornness is usually the cause and a second yellow just makes matters worse and could lead to abandoning the game. One way to avoid it is to be a bit more patient on the first yellow and issue it after the player knows a second can be issued if the player persists.

I'd like to think I've maybe learned some better management techniques and may deal with it differently now, however I do believe that this was a problem entirely of the players own making.
Must say it a few times a season, and it came up again on Saturday when I was AR and going through the cautions back in the dressing room. Shame that “BE” isn’t one of the SP, TR, FT, AA (etc) additional USB caution codes.

Just BE… for acting like a bellend.

Back