A&H

Player pole-axed - fairly?

The attacker still kept going at full speed despite knowing there is a bloody good chance he will not get to the ball first. He put his own safety in danger more so than the defender did.

My opinion as far as intention goes; the defender's intention was l'll get the ball but just in case I don't, I will make sure I get the player.
The attackers intention was, I'll go for the ball and I don't give a sh!t what happens if I don't get it.

I am going for yellow for defender.

A very tough call for the referee in real time without much thinking time.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If that's not a foul then i don't know what is? Foul and a minimum of a caution all day long.

This. It's a disgusting challenge. My first instinct was a red card. I'm sitting on orange, anything less than a yellow card is criminal.

This was the sort of challenge where he clearly wanted to use the ball as an excuse to get the player. The attacker was running in a straight line with the ball - ball was a bit far in front, but still running with the ball. Opponent has come across, slowed then, then at the last moment kicked the ball but thrown his body over it to drop the shoulder into the opponent. Nothing about this was necessary.

The attacker still kept going at full speed despite knowing there is a bloody good chance he will not get to the ball first. He put his own safety in danger more so than the defender did.

My opinion as far as intention goes; the defender's intention was l'll get the ball but just in case I don't, I will make sure I get the player.
The attackers intention was, I'll go for the ball and I don't give a sh!t what happens if I don't get it.

I am going for yellow for attacker.

You're trolling, surely? You're going to caution the attacker who just got knocked out after somebody else unnecessarily ran into his path and dropped the shoulder into him, abusing the 'I go the ball' principle to pretend it was a fair challenge??????????

From the LOTG.....All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent. Play on!!!
That's not even close to what happened here. He wasn't standing there and the attacker ran into him. He ran into the attacker in a manner that had nothing to do with winning the ball and at the last moment, turned to drop his shoulder over the ball.

Also concerning how many people on social media think this is a perfectly fair challenge. I find it a worry when there's such a huge disconnect between referees and 'laypeople' in judging a decision.

This. It's a disgusting challenge. My first instinct was a red card. I'm sitting on orange, anything less than a yellow card is criminal.

This was the sort of challenge where he clearly wanted to use the ball as an excuse to get the player. The attacker was running in a straight line with the ball - ball was a bit far in front, but still running with the ball. Opponent has come across, slowed then, then at the last moment kicked the ball but thrown his body over it to drop the shoulder into the opponent. Nothing about this was necessary.

You're trolling, surely? You're going to caution the attacker who just got knocked out after somebody else unnecessarily ran into his path and dropped the shoulder into him, abusing the 'I go the ball' principle to pretend it was a fair challenge??????????

Fixed my post. I meant yellow for defender. :)

These aren't replies they are Papal decrees!! What happened to debating your personal view and not just 'You're wrong and I'm right!'!!

These aren't replies they are Papal decrees!! What happened to debating your personal view and not just 'You're wrong and I'm right!'!!
Hopefully, that is what we are all doing! And let's keep it professional.

But we should come to an agreed solution for the "offence", in furtherance of that great refereeing god "Consistency".

I'm old school as well, but in my opinion this was total thuggery because he may not have meant to hurt him but he obviously intended to take him out. His eyes never moved as he ran towards him so there was nothing accidental about this. He aimed his shoulder at him and didn't have any thought about the ball. If he hadn't flukily touched the ball I like to think people would be saying that he body checked him so it's a foul. The fact that the opponent kicked the ball against his foot doesn't make this ok.

As a goalkeeper I was hurt by too many people who meant to hurt me to accept this as a "bloody good tackle" - there are enough accidents in the game without tolerating people who intend to hurt opponents if they think they can get away with it. We have several teams round here (southern softies, no less!) who go all out to hurt an opponent, as long as they can do so "fairly", by playing the ball first.

If it had been a header and he'd led with his arm and knocked the opponent out exactly like this after heading the ball you wouldn't say that he got the ball so it's ok. Touching the ball does not change the fact that it's serious foul play. In the same way if a player touches the ball before clattering an opponent then it can still be a foul. If he seriously injures the opponent then it can still be serious foul play, regardless of the ball being played or not. There are accidental collisions, but I don't think this was one of those.

This type of "tackle" is great to watch, but if you're the one hit by it then it's not so good. Players have a right to be protected from opponents who want to hurt them in this way, because this is one of the things that is reducing the number of teams down here - too many people are just out to hurt someone so the Mrs doesn't want them playing because they can't pay the bills if they get injured playing football.

I'm old school as well, but in my opinion this was total thuggery because he may not have meant to hurt him but he obviously intended to take him out. His eyes never moved as he ran towards him .

Man alive you have great eyesight if you can see where the defenders eyes are focussed from this clip? I see him facing and following the ball all the way including after contact and only then does he appear to glance back at the player on the floor? I can't tell where his eyes were looking but to me he followed the ball and whilst winning it, he still endangered the opponent yellow card and be more careful with your challenges warning.....red if previous?

Yes ok, point taken. What I meant was I saw his head always pointing towards the opponent, and in defence you don't act like eagle eyes action man - you look where your head is pointing. He certainly doesn't follow the ball.

Yes ok, point taken. What I meant was I saw his head always pointing towards the opponent, and in defence you don't act like eagle eyes action man - you look where your head is pointing. He certainly doesn't follow the ball.
What his head movement just prior to and just after collision, he follows the ball and then looks back if he was doing the player his head would be constantly focussed on the player and waiting on a reaction, he doesn't he follows the ball then looks back.

Red all day for me, no attempt to play the ball, and his run was designed to take the attacker out.

If I let a challenge like that go down here in sunny Kent then I'd get lynched.

and anyway we know getting the ball doesn't exclude a foul.

Can this not be sent to every registered player in the country. There seems to be a general consensus from players you can take someones head off but it is ok he got the ball first. I blew for one of these last Saturday and the the looks of amazement were many from the offending team. But he got the ball ref yes he did but he fouled the player as well

Can this not be sent to every registered player in the country. There seems to be a general consensus from players you can take someones head off but it is ok he got the ball first. I blew for one of these last Saturday and the the looks of amazement were many from the offending team. But he got the ball ref yes he did but he fouled the player as well
But not all contact is a foul Tina, remember that...... Its a simple game extensively played with a swinging foot, in the vast percentage of times they are 'attempting' to do what they are supposed to be doing with little intention to foul.....

Last edited:
Back