A&H

Player makes dramatic save!

SM

The avuncular one
as relayed to me by a colleague:

Midway through a tight game, Red player has the ball a couple of yards outside the box at a slight angle to the left of the box. He has a cannon of a shot and lashes one towards the goal. The only defender anywhere near him dives like Gordon Banks and saves the shot with his hands in spectacular style. You get behind the shot and can see it was heading on target with considerable force. The goal keeper was on his line and ready to dive himself before his team mate intervened.

What do you do next?

The Referee Store
Can you be certain the keeper would save it? By the sounds of the dramatic save its a red card for me, maybe wait a second see if the defence of confused by what they've seen their team mate do and see if anyone taps in a follow up into the net, in which case it would be a yellow.

You can't assume the keeper would save that and players shouldn't be doing that sort of stuff anyway.

Plus which I'm sure if you give a red for DOGSO no one would complain, however if you give a yellow for that, regardless of an explanation the faeces would hit the rotating blade

Why wouldn't this be a red card? It's an obvious opportunity. Yes, the keeper might save it - but no different to any DOGSO foul when the keeper is still on his line (the honest truth is the keeper usually still saves those ones).

I'd want to have the ball going pretty much straight for the keeper to consider keeping the red in my pocket here.

Two lines of thought here.
- The keeper could have saved it. so its a yellow.
- The keeper could have stuffed it up so its a red

How do you determine 'obvious'?

To me its one of those that you have to be there. Lets say the keeper had made 3 top drawer similar diving saves in the match already. Or on the flip side its a make shift keeper that has let in 3 goals that any half decent keeper would have saved. Too many unknown to give an answer here.

There are 3 decision I would not make if I have any doubts, award goals, give penalties and send off players.

I'm with @The Bstard on this one. Its an opportunity. Now if the shot had been obviously flying wide a yellow. But in this case the shot is well hit and on target, for me that is an obvious goalscoring opportunity as even Hugo Lloris with a shot coming right at him could let it in.

YC and DFK..as too far out for DOGSO you cannot guarantee 100% that shot was going in especially as keeper was waiting for it....

I'm not gonna solve 4th degree differential equations in my head for a player dumb enough to make a save
If IMO the shot was on target, red, if not, yellow

you cannot guarantee 100% that shot was going in especially as keeper was waiting for it....

That's not the definition of DOGSO, with that reflexion, there's no DOGSO for a player foul as the keeper was waiting for the striker anyway and you're not 100% sure that the striker would score ?

Any player making a diving save to stop a goal is getting a red card, regardless of the keeper being there or there abouts. I'm shocked anyone could consider a yellow.

What i considered was...."Red player has the ball a couple of yards outside the box at a slight angle to the left of the box" So not exactly a glaring DOGSO being outside the box and at a slight angle is it? If it was inside the box directly in front of goal then yes RC/ DOGSO Well in my opinion anything could have happened to the ball en route toward the goal especially with the keeper stood there waiting for it.

Ah, I think I see what you mean mikedn - does 'slight angle' mean he's just off the goal line, or mean he's running at the face of the goal (And he just angled around a player)?

Big difference between the two, IMO

Back