A&H

Player commits a careless tackle...

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Not worthy of a card, but you want him to understand that he is running out of chances.
What do you say to him?? I am often at a bit of a loss to know how to express the thought that he crosses the line again and he is in the book.
Giving a yellow or red is easy as the conversation is fairly standard and well rehearsed.
"Cut that out or your in the book", is that the sort of thing?

The Referee Store
Start considering persistent infringement. And I don't mean to actually give him the card then.

Point to 2-3 foul locations on the field, the signal with arms that "no more" (ie, start with arms around waist, crossed over at wrists, bringing them outward in a horizontal motion).

Next foul? Book him Paulo!

Also consider stepped approach - is it worth getting the captain in? Like with many things, situational.

my general rule ... if they are just a bit carless as you've mentioned...

1st - let it go (give a FK, but nothing said to player)
2nd - just let him know 'that's the 2nd carless 8, lets watch it please'
3rd - no quick kick, play stopped, captain and player both in 'captain, that's the 3rd time, I've told 8 to watch his challenges *turn to 8* this is your final warning, next time and you'll go in the book, thanks guys and back to positions'
4th - booking
5th - second booking, off

I know this to some is seen as too many chances, but at Sunday level and for petty challenges I think its justified

*I used 8 as an example as I usually communicate with players via their number

Not worthy of a card, but you want him to understand that he is running out of chances.
What do you say to him?? I am often at a bit of a loss to know how to express the thought that he crosses the line again and he is in the book.
Giving a yellow or red is easy as the conversation is fairly standard and well rehearsed.
"Cut that out or your in the book", is that the sort of thing?

Depends how to want to play it.

If it just one player offending:
  • then heavy blow of whistle;
  • get him to come to you;
  • say something which does not tie to a particular action - "Ok, thats two/three. I seen them and that is why we are having this word. I don't want to have to talk to you again this game. Understand?".
If more than one player fouling, then involve the Captain under the stepped approach. Speak to the captain with the player present (not to the player!) saying "thats two/three. Deal with him or I will". Leave and hopefully the captain will yell at the player...

1st - let it go (give a FK, but nothing said to player)
2nd - just let him know 'that's the 2nd carless 8, lets watch it please'
3rd - no quick kick, play stopped, captain and player both in 'captain, that's the 3rd time, I've told 8 to watch his challenges *turn to 8* this is your final warning, next time and you'll go in the book, thanks guys and back to positions'
4th - booking
5th - second booking, off

@Charlie Jones
I really like your 1-4 ... but ... would you not re-set the count after the booking ..?
It reads that you're going to issue a caution for a player's first careless foul after the booking ...
I'd be looking to repeat the 1-4 process so the player would get his red card after 8 careless fouls

firstly, I'm flattered a level 5 likes 'most' of my approach :)
Secondly, maybe you are correct - it does depend on the situation - a lot of the time I do include 'another' warning in-between 4 and 5, just to the player and then 2nd yellow - but then sometimes, especially if I feel the player is purposely trying to push me, I will offer no more warning - 4 warning should be enough for an adult! haha

Depends how to want to play it.
  • say something which does not tie to a particular action - "Ok, that's two/three. I seen them and that is why we are having this word. I don't want to have to talk to you again this game. Understand?".
If more than one player fouling, then involve the Captain under the stepped approach. Speak to the captain with the player present (not to the player!) saying "that's two/three. Deal with him or I will". Leave and hopefully the captain will yell at the player...

I agree with not pointing out exact actions (can bite you on the rear if you've mixed players up on a particular challenge and make you look silly when the player says *that wasn't me ref*)

not sure I agree with not talking to the player though? as I've said, I like to let the captain know why I've pulled them both and what I have previously said to the player i.e. *I have warned if already* - I think then its best to warn the player a final time IN FRONT OF THE CAPTAIN so he hears it too

each to their own though :)

Thanks Charlie - don't be too distracted by my or any other referee's levels - I know some fantastic L7s who just didn't want to go through the promotion process ... your approach is good - just needs rolling out in your games - which includes keeping track of which player has committed how many fouls [first assessment I had - Assessor told me at half time that a player had committed 7 fouls already without me cautioning him!]

@Charlie Jones
I really like your 1-4 ... but ... would you not re-set the count after the booking ..?
It reads that you're going to issue a caution for a player's first careless foul after the booking ...
I'd be looking to repeat the 1-4 process so the player would get his red card after 8 careless fouls
Agreed!
Remember that a second caution should still be warranting of a cautionable offence!
Too many times, I've seen officials throw second yellows out, just because the player's been cautioned. Ensure the second one is worthy!
(Although - If he makes a stupid tackle moments after his caution, he definitely deserves to walk!)

Thanks for your comments guys ... I'll look at introducing another 'warning' in between each yellow ... Unless the circumstance Dan has mentioned occurs!

All advice is great

Back