A&H

Player bleeding

The Referee Store
If the referee notices the bleeding wound, he is obliged to request that the player leaves FoP to have bleeding stopped
The referee must be sure that the bleeding has stopped/been controlled before allowing the player to return to FoP

If the referee notices the bleeding wound, he is obliged to request that the player leaves FoP to have bleeding stopped
The referee must be sure that the bleeding has stopped/been controlled before allowing the player to return to FoP
Go Immediately? Stop play,?

Go Immediately? Stop play,?

Stop play if you need to. Mostly this comes to common sense. If there is a lot of blood and players together, you probably want to stop play. If it's a small amount of blood, and not contesting with another player, I'd handle at the next stoppage (or would stop if the GK gets the ball). Nothing prevents you from telling them to step off during play, but in most cases that is likely to be confusing IMO.

Don't forget that there can't be any blood on the payer's equipment either before they are allowed back on. For example a bloody shirt has to be replaced. There is no hard and fast rule here. As mentioned above, use a lot of common sense based on player's safety and well being.

Stop play if you need to. Mostly this comes to common sense. If there is a lot of blood and players together, you probably want to stop play. If it's a small amount of blood, and not contesting with another player, I'd handle at the next stoppage (or would stop if the GK gets the ball). Nothing prevents you from telling them to step off during play, but in most cases that is likely to be confusing IMO.
what if I tell to step off and player doesn’t ? YC?

Wait until one of the opposition players notices the bleeding and then act upon their insistent advice!

At grassroots level, if there is blood on a kit, teams won’t probably have spares so I’ve seen people say, get a subs etc and remember the numbers.
How would people here approach that with covid and not sharing jerseys?

At grassroots level, if there is blood on a kit, teams won’t probably have spares so I’ve seen people say, get a subs etc and remember the numbers.
How would people here approach that with covid and not sharing jerseys?
My two cents: if the league is permitting play and not providing instructions to referees on this, then this is not a referee issue. it's something the team has to solve and you don't need to micro-manage the team's decisions. (We have plenty to do that is our responsibility.) Are R, you just need to tell the player he can't continue with blood on the shirt. The team needs to figure out the solution.

Surely in this time of Blood Borne viruses, the referee need to take a common sense approach to blood on kit, or am I Yet again thinking outside of the box??????

Surely in this time of Blood Borne viruses, the referee need to take a common sense approach to blood on kit, or am I Yet again thinking outside of the box??????
"Common sense" is often completely wrong.

Blood = Get off the field.

Anything else is against LOTG and against medical recommendation.

Back