A&H

Player accuses you of being racist

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
By saying something like "You have booked me just because I am black".
I am sure this has done the rounds on here before, but what do you do??

The Referee Store
"No player, I have booked you because you ......". Then leave it at that.

I've had this situation once before, I kept it short and sweet. At the time I also called the captain in to have a word with the player about his conduct. To accuse me of booking him because of his skin colour is absolutely absurd and I will not have anyone accusing me of being racist.

If a player actually said that to me, with or without a smile on his face, I'd assume he was just having a laugh. ;)

My stock response would be "Don't even go there Number ..... - just get on with the game please". :)

I'd be sorely tempted to change the colour of the card. I'd find the idea that I was being in some way racist to be clearly offensive and therefore red becomes the appropriate sanction.

I'd be sorely tempted to change the colour of the card. I'd find the idea that I was being in some way racist to be clearly offensive and therefore red becomes the appropriate sanction.

..... with somewhat "ironic" implications though...... ;) :D

If this is an actual example, info your RDO that this has happened and the specifics. They can then be prepared if a formal report does come in.

Related to this I sent off a player for calling me a effing black c many years ago.

I'm not black btw and I added this to my misconduct report.

Very odd!

Related to this I sent off a player for calling me a effing black c many years ago.

I'm not black btw and I added this to my misconduct report.

Very odd!

Is it possible he was referring to the outfit you'd chosen for the occasion? :D

I consider accusing someone of racism is itself racist. I'd be calling the captain in and explaining to him what his player was being sent off for.
If you don't deal with it then the player can pretty much expect to get away with anything because he can always make the same complaint. If he expects to get away with making that statement then any other player could potentially say "you're only booking me because I'm white!" That's a slippery slope!
As Lincs says, inform the RDO of the circumstances so they can be prepared for any report.

It was a long time ago so can't remember precisely, but I do recall it was pretty clear at the time,otherwise I wouldn't have put it in the report.

It would have been an odd turn of phrase to call me "You dressed in black f**** c*****"!";)

It's so ridiculous, I'd assume it was a joke.
If it obviously wasn't then it's basically calling me a cheat so red it is.
I'm not contacting my RDO, everything county need to know will be in the RC report.

Back