A&H

Played advantage, sending off

Ryanj91

Hey team!

So there was a foul just inside the attacking team's half (counter attack) . I waited a second to see where the ball went. It went to their winger who was in loads of space and running towards their penalty area. I shouted advantage, gave the signal, took note of the player who committed the foul.

The player kept running, very promising attack, they had more numbers. On the edge of the area (so the advantage had gone from their own half to the edge of the area) the winger then lost the ball (air kick), got up and pushed over the defender in frustration (I blew up) and he then kicked the ball at away.

He was on a yellow, so I gave him a second yellow for getting up and pushing a player over in frustration/anger.

I gave the player who 'took one for the team' a yellow.

The manager and team went mental. Complaining that I played the advantage.

It took about 5 mins to calm the team down.

I said:
1) play until the whistle.
2) you had a clear advantage,. You took it (ran down half the pitch). What's better? A free kick in your half or being on the counter attack with 3v2 with a chance of scoring?
3) earlier in the game, I played advantage, the other team scored.
4) my decision to play the advantage isn't an excuse for the player to push over another player in frustration and boot the ball away.

Apparently I ruined the game and was a cheat haha..

Agree I made the correct decision? Would you have done anything different?

The Referee Store
Advantage.

If you play it and a team loses the ball they wanted the free kick.
If you blow up and give the free kick they wanted advantage.

Its one you will never win on.

sounds like one of those, whatever you do you wont please everybody.
there was a similar advantage post a few weeks back, and I raised the point that, as referees', as much as playing advantage is certainly within our remit, I said "what if the team don't want it". Afterall, it's them playing the game, if they are fouled, they deserve a free kick, who are we to think we know better or try to be too clever?

It does however read like the advantage was justified, given the direction and distance in the next passage of play

I would advise being careful by raising point 2 with the team, their obvious reply is they would rather have the fk and 11 men still on the park, so, take care not to leave yourself open to that
point 3 is kinda irrelevant as what the other team do is from your decision has really no bearing on the other team later on, although in fairness, you could be classed as being consistent with your application of advantage, so that's commendable.
and point 4 is correct and cannot be doubted

quick question if I may, do you wish now you have simply awarded the fk?
or to get a more relevant take on, when it happened, I bet inside you something was saying "jeezo I wish I had just given the foul"?

I made the decision that benefited the team at the time. They travelled up the pitch to the edge of the area and the player screwed up. As I said, my decision making had no effect on the players action after he lost the ball.

I suppose if I had blown up for the foul, that discussion would have never happened, but hey that's hindsight for ya.

I'm confused...where's the controversy? Player was fouled, you played advantage, quite some time later the ball was lost and the player that lost it then pushed the defender....what have I missed here? Why are they whinging that you played advantage?

Because it seems very straightforward to me.....

I'm confused...where's the controversy? Player was fouled, you played advantage, quite some time later the ball was lost and the player that lost it then pushed the defender....what have I missed here? Why are they whinging that you played advantage?

Because it seems very straightforward to me.....
I bet the manager didn't moan he wanted the free kick while they were on the attack did he ?

No, he waited until they lost the ball.

Nope, only in their eyes aha.

Agree I made the correct decision? Would you have done anything different?

Sounds good to me. Even went back and cautioned the lad doing the initial foul - something I sometimes lose track of. So, yeah think you nailed that one, pay them no heed.

not quite the same but my stroll in the park Sunday, one team was better than the other and late on, think 5-0 up or so I played 2/3 advantages to them in a 5 mins spell, 2 were solid, 1 was maybe, but, given the better ability etc, it worked, phew
few mins to go, other team guy got fouled on half way line, ball rolled forward to his pal, I looked at it and thought, hmmm maybe but, thought, nope, safety first, this way they keep the ball, and gave the foul.
Cue the guy in midfield "play on ref! you did it for them"
Before I even got the chance, his coach at the sideline shouted out "aye but we're s**** today and would only loose the ball anyway! "

saved me from saying it !!

over riding point being, as others have said, its a tough one to please everybody on

I suppose if I had blown up for the foul, that discussion would have never happened, but hey that's hindsight for ya.
Not sure what you mean by hindsight. Had you blown for the free kick, from your positional description and team attitude, more than likely you would have had a bigger problem with the manager, the player and the rest of the team because you didn't play advantage.

If you think you made the right decision, stick to your guns. Don't get into a debate with the manager and the team. You don't have to justify your decision to them. If you feel generous, give it a very short explanation and walk away.

What I would also reflect on is the delivery of the yellow cards and the red card. You would have know it is not going to be a popular one. Could you have done anything differently to ease up the ensuing chaos?

Just to add also, should I get major grief for playing an advantage (lets work on basis it was the correct thing to do), then, see the next opportunity I have to play advantage in the game (to that team), well, unless the guy only has to fall over the ball on the goal line to score a goal, they are getting the free kick.
the whistle will be blowing the millisecond contact is made/foul is committed, I wont even give thought to playing on, it will be sharp whistle, and if any of the team even consider looking at me, far less saying anything, Quick Draw McGraw will be on his way to the deed poll office to change his name to Slow Hands, card will be on way (dissent!), same goes if coach mouth even opens, far less anything comes out of it, I will actually be daring him in my own mind to say something.
You lot wanted the free kick last time so badly, fine, your getting the free kick this time.

disclaimer, slight exaggeration maybe as to the scenario in my head, but, it be along those lines...

Some refs will play more advantage than others, some refs will give more handballs than others but as long as you're consistent you cant ask any more than that.

If it was me doing a one off game at a decent standard, do you call managers in before game for a chat ?

Id say to them both so they knew, i dont give many pens or free kicks for hand balls its got to be deliberate and i wont be playing any advantages just so they know where they stand.

Some refs will play more advantage than others, some refs will give more handballs than others but as long as you're consistent you cant ask any more than that.

If it was me doing a one off game at a decent standard, do you call managers in before game for a chat ?

Id say to them both so they knew, i dont give many pens or free kicks for hand balls its got to be deliberate and i wont be playing any advantages just so they know where they stand.

No, I personally have never experienced any ref or me having a chat with manager re what your tactics will be. Ever.

Try and keep any pre determined stuff up your sleeve, announcing something that you are or are not going to do can blow up in your face. Keep your powder dry and don’t tell them nothing. Most of my teams knew what they were getting with me, liked a tackle, hated back lip and don’t call him a £&@£... we all knew where we stood really!

Last edited:
No, I personally have never experienced any ref or me having a chat with manager re what your tactics will be. Ever.

At higher levels do refs talk to coaches before hand ?

I coached in a County Cup Final three years ago and ref had me and opposition manager in before hand telling us what went and what didnt.

At higher levels do refs talk to coaches before hand ?

I coached in a County Cup Final three years ago and ref had me and opposition manager in before hand telling us what went and what didnt.

Well I was senior here for 14 year, very too level for 2 and have never heard of anybody doing so, far less experienced it

If thats the case id go back on what i said and speak to nobody, was always under the impression refs had a pre match five minutes with both coaches.

Only ever happned to me once as a coach as i say in a county Final

If thats the case id go back on what i said and speak to nobody, was always under the impression refs had a pre match five minutes with both coaches.

Only ever happned to me once as a coach as i say in a county Final

Might be individual cases somewhere but personally I have been never experienced that, in any role, from any official.
You tend to find the managers other than a polite, hi, hows things, dont interact.

Back