A&H

PL Referees £s

The Referee Store
I wouldn't. I would want 5x that to cover loss of earnings and 'risk' that being in a less secure contract involves.

I've already told myself I'm not interested in going beyond L3 as being a 2b involves so much more travel and time that doesn't work with my job. If I had to give up that job, it'd need to be worthwhile.

To the point being made by others, this is the reason why more pay means better referees in the long term, as it attracts and retains talent that otherwise would go elsewhere.

A less secure contract, well, as we all know, things change daily, so, I don't think such a thing in reality exists.
I guess we will never know if more pay equals better referee's, if it did, then, I guess we would not be having this debate today...
we have went from non pro to pro with a much bigger payment than before and we are saying standards are poor, so, i doubt the next jump to a bigger wage will make any difference

I have no idea what a ref in England got in 1989 for a game. I do know here, it was £40 for a top flight game. Today its closer to 1k.
How do we measure an increase in standard? .....

Last edited:
Professional referees have a lot more time to devote to refereeing and that can only be a good thing. But a real improvement would come from having a greater pool to choose from and that means extending professional referees much lower down the football hierarchy.

£80k a year would be enough to attract most people but it's only on offer to people who have for years prior been happy to accept next to nothing, and it means sacrificing a career that could extend another 20 years after you retire from football. So the available pool is tiny by comparison to what it could be.

And the cost would be absolutely tiny by comparison to the PL profits.

Endless television replays ..... :rolleyes::D

Well Scotland had refs at World Cup 82, 86 withdraw off own back days before, 90, 94, 98 and 02,
Since the wages rocketed, none.
It is not scientific and of course, could well be opposite elsewhere. And it proves nothing. But its a loose indicator and here, ballooning the pay does not (seem) to have increased quality (according to those who want the best of the best for their jamboree)

Well Scotland had refs at World Cup 82, 86 withdraw off own back days before, 90, 94, 98 and 02,
It is not scientific and of course, could well be opposite elsewhere. And it proves nothing. But its a loose indicator and here, ballooning the pay does not (seem) to have increased quality (according to those who want the best of the best for their jamboree)

Mate, my post above was rather more meant as a sarcastic joke. (Alluding to the fact that referee's these days are scrutinised and judged via that means after every match by a panel of pundits - so-called "experts :rolleyes: ).

In truth, I do agree with some of what you say on this thread, particularly when it comes to the notion of keeping referee's salaries realistic, (to a point) but your point above about rocketing wages and no Scottish referee's being being nominated probably has more to do with:

1. The standard of the Scottish Premier League being perceived to have dropped since those days,

and

2. The impetus of international football as a global sport really taking off over the last 20 or so years. By that I mean (particularly in Europe) the huge influx of foreign players from all continents and with it referee's from all continents being available. I personally can't remember many African or Asian/Middle Eastern referees taking charge of top flight games prior to 2000. Indeed, most international referees for major tournaments etc came from either Europe or the Americas. ;) :cool:

It is not scientific and of course

You're right that it's not scientific. Because without knowing what has happened to referee wages in the countries whose referees have replaced Scottish ones it's completely meaningless. If they paid more than Scotland did then it's a good argument for more pay.

But I suspect it has more to do with Scottish football being a bit rubbish and other countries getting better.

No doubt the emergence of the more obscure nations and inclusion has played its part and only so many from each continent can go.
The standard of the top league here dropping is not as relevant, as our top guys get heavy judged on their European performances over their domestic ones.

Reactions: Kes
You're right that it's not scientific. Because without knowing what has happened to referee wages in the countries whose referees have replaced Scottish ones it's completely meaningless. If they paid more than Scotland did then it's a good argument for more pay.

But I suspect it has more to do with Scottish football being a bit rubbish and other countries getting better.

it might not be scientific but its factually correct !

The only good thing about Ciley arguing the other side of it is that it will give us all something to read.

Otherwise, 80K a year in a multi-billion £ / $ industry for a selected few who are expected to be the best in the world? Knowing that is ridicules is an open and shut case for me.

Don't forget tax. 80k becomes 40k.
Not quite. You are only taxed at 40 % on earnings over 45000 (might be slightly higher.) And 20% on earnings over personal allowance (11500?). You only lose your personal allowance at about 120k a year (again roughly).
And to top it off you are self employed so there are allowable expenses, mileage, hotels, equipment etc etc to consider

I think top flight refs should get substantially more pay because of the exposure, responsibility, risk and expertise involved in doing the job and ”the value of the product/service” they contribute to.

We/they don’t have bargaining power though. We/they will always be scapegoats, the game could stumble on with/without anyone that stamped their feet, and, something that is evident, highlighted by Cilage, bleedin’ obvious to all.., none of us do it for the money... it’s bound up on passion, honour, duty, love of the game etc.

It is the most bizarre profession at the top level, like volunteering free to be a ridiculed game show host slaughtered and abused live and in media, with the highest viewing figures, while the contestants are all guaranteed massive prizes... and you just stoically retain your dignity and integrity while being surrounded by wide boys and governed by crooks.

It’s nuts! The clergy is the only thing I can think of that comes close, but they get a job for life, supportive organization and er perks like er wine snd lodging. Strange they also work the holidays!

80k does sound poor when compared to the wages paid to players, but that isn't a fair comparison, as the club's don't pay the referees, directly, except for the match fees.

PGMOL pay referees, no The FA and not the Premier League, although money goes to PGMOL from the Premier League.

I think that instead of rising the wages of the existing select group referees they should expand the number of select group referees.

That would have a much more beneficial effect on the standard of refereeing than paying someone more money.

I think that instead of rising the wages of the existing select group referees they should expand the number of select group referees.
Disagree. IMO hlaf the select group are struggling at EPL now and don't belong there. And they are supposed to be the best of the current crop. Where are they going to bring more from?

It takes a lot of excellent qualities to be able to truly do the game justice as a referee at that level. Athleticism, intelligence, sharpness of mind, personality, dedication ... Just to name a few. The combinatiin of qualities that would take anyone to the top of any field no matter what they choose. Why would you become a referee to get 80K and you are done at 45 or 50, when you can climb the corporate ladder, become a pro player, a politician etc and set yourself up for life.

Back