A&H

PL clubs to debate whether to drop VAR for rest of season

The Referee Store
Great opportunity to get rid
No point prolonging (and ruining) games unnecessarily with officials coupe'd up indoors

I suspect the main concern is a lack of officials. Will only take a couple to test positive or pick up injuries and they'll be short, leaving a couple of options. Use SG2 referees on VAR, who may never have used it before, or use SG1 referees on VAR with SG2 referees in the middle. That risk goes away if they suspend the use of VAR.

I suspect the main concern is a lack of officials. Will only take a couple to test positive or pick up injuries and they'll be short, leaving a couple of options. Use SG2 referees on VAR, who may never have used it before, or use SG1 referees on VAR with SG2 referees in the middle. That risk goes away if they suspend the use of VAR.
Or, they could use me to VAR from home. I have a Toshiba and everything.

As I understand it, one of the concerns is having a bunch of people all together at close quarters in one room in Stockley Park.

As I understand it, one of the concerns is having a bunch of people all together at close quarters in one room in Stockley Park.
A feeble excuse, they should easily be able to draw some accurate lines on the floor. It can’t be that hard to get it right. Let’s see how they like it! 😷

Last edited:
i dont see how you can possibly finish the season without VAR having played 2/3ds with it.

A feeble excuse, they should easily be able to draw some accurate lines on the floor. It can’t be that hard to get it right. Let’s see how they like it! 😷
Lines on the floor are easy. Moving all the built-in monitors around so that people can reach the control boards and still maintain distance is a bit trickier....

Lines on the floor are easy. Moving all the built-in monitors around so that people can reach the control boards and still maintain distance is a bit trickier....
No different to Boris saying Average Joe should go to work in any office environment, there will be a new normal, they need to deal with it or shut up shop!!!

i dont see how you can possibly finish the season without VAR having played 2/3ds with it.

Well. In Scotland, we use the behind the goals guys for the semis and finals
So kind of the reverse, bringing something in for the last few games which was not used earlier on.

No different to Boris saying Average Joe should go to work in any office environment, there will be a new normal, they need to deal with it or shut up shop!!!
You're not going to get very far with me by using him as an example of how things should be done....

Although actually, you've kind of proven my point - those in charge can stand behind their podiums and say "oh just go back to work" - the reality, of course, is that it's far more complicated than they imagined, and trying to suggest it's straightforward is insulting and short-sighted.

You're not going to get very far with me by using him as an example of how things should be done....

Although actually, you've kind of proven my point - those in charge can stand behind their podiums and say "oh just go back to work" - the reality, of course, is that it's far more complicated than they imagined, and trying to suggest it's straightforward is insulting and short-sighted.
That’s fine, but then they should just hold up their hands and say it’s not possible to do it safely, Thousands of businesses have issues to deal with, Football shouldn’t really be that high on anyone’s agenda really! Life’s too short!

That’s fine, but then they should just hold up their hands and say it’s not possible to do it safely, Thousands of businesses have issues to deal with, Football shouldn’t really be that high on anyone’s agenda really! Life’s too short!
I think we're both getting to the point where we're putting words into people's mouths.

At the moment, all that's been said is that "doing VAR safely" is a concern and one of the reasons a discussion about continuing with it needed to be had. It seems fairly likely that the conclusion will be "shift the monitors around at Stanley park and get on with it". But it's still someone's job to shift those monitors, it will still take time and money and still may not actually be particularly safe for those who end up working there. So the discussion needs to be had - same as it will at any other workplace where people will be asked to go back to while social distancing is still in place.

Surely the VAR officials would have to be tested daily any way as they will also be out on pitches. So just extend the testing to support staff are Stockley Park can't operate without. The whole thing is fraught with difficulty, but all sports will be for at least the next 12 months and potentially much longer.

I'm actually moving towards the view it won't happen in England. Not primarily because of safety concerns, rather self interests of the clubs is going to mean they can't get a consensus on using neutral grounds.

If it is anything like the lines they draw on monitors for offside, I'm afraid they are not going to get it right.

I write this only half in jest . . .

Sometimes, I think that if we did VAR from home that we would actually work VAR closer to what the powers that be claim they want VAR to be. I know that if I had my laptop hooked up to my 25-inch computer monitor that I'd only be reviewing and advising on the blatant items. I wouldn't be asking to change decisions on those millimeter-thin offside calls or a very close foul-no foul in the penalty area. I'd only be calling in on those plays that are blatantly missed (offside by a body length, someone's punched behind the play, or it's obvious that the challenge in the area clipped the leg and never got the ball).

Of course, I know it'll never happen and that there are training efforts to make VAR more consistent. However, I'd never overturn a non-offside where someone's big toe might have been offside on the frame where I think the ball was played.

I write this only half in jest . . .

Sometimes, I think that if we did VAR from home that we would actually work VAR closer to what the powers that be claim they want VAR to be. I know that if I had my laptop hooked up to my 25-inch computer monitor that I'd only be reviewing and advising on the blatant items. I wouldn't be asking to change decisions on those millimeter-thin offside calls or a very close foul-no foul in the penalty area. I'd only be calling in on those plays that are blatantly missed (offside by a body length, someone's punched behind the play, or it's obvious that the challenge in the area clipped the leg and never got the ball).

Of course, I know it'll never happen and that there are training efforts to make VAR more consistent. However, I'd never overturn a non-offside where someone's big toe might have been offside on the frame where I think the ball was played.

In the US, MLS has not invested in line drawing technology. While that was probably economic more than tactical, I think this is a better way to use VAR for OS: If you can't tell without that kind of micro technology, the call on the field stands.

Back