A&H

Pk added on time, last kick. Of all time. Ever

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Second hand story, but even if its no 100% accurate, am sure its happened somewhere, maybe you have even done it
Vital game (not that any game is not important, but lets say its a final, relegation decider etc)
Pk in 6th min added on time, i.e, the last kick of the ball

Story goes on Tues night, a ref said to the kicker "this is the last kick, no rebounds"

Would you?
Good communication?
Being proactive should it indeed rebound and scored and there is you saying games over
Extra pressure on kicker on an already pressure kick?

The Referee Store
- No
- No
- Yes (no goal, game over)
- I shouldn't (and don't) care about what pressure the kicker is under.

The most I would say is "time is up, I am adding time only for the PK to be taken". Defender have every right and good reason to follow through as they can legally prevent a goal after the ball has been kicked. Telling the attackers to not follow through can give false impressions to defenders or at least create confusion. And if you tell the defenders they can follow through but attackers can't, it would be coaching the defenders on the specific situation. Just say what the law says, let them do what they do and you apply the law accordingly.

I would recommend that you tell both teams. It stops any argument on encroachment, there is no need to follow the ball in. Safe ending to game, as they now coach.

I would recommend that you tell both teams. It stops any argument on encroachment, there is no need to follow the ball in. Safe ending to game, as they now coach.
Disagree. If you read my post, there actually is a reason for defenders to legally follow the ball and save a goal. If you stop them form doing it and a winning goal is scored because of it, in all likelihood the entire game would have to be replayed.

Who cares if time is exactly up (it's not an exact science anyway)?
Just wait until the ball is in the net or cleared by a defender
Why be clever and open the door to fracas?

I always thought we should end the game in a neutral area of the FOP there imo an attacker going for a rebounded penalty isn't neutral so I'd be waiting.

Edit: Seems dodgy to me to let defender clear it after telling attacker not to attack it.

I dont think I be telling the teams but I also would be fine stopping game soon as keeper saves ( if thats indeed what happens)
As we know, time is added on for the taking of the pk only, and if its indeed the pk is awarded on, or even just after what should be time up then , the pk is the last act for me

my point is one i have seen raised by a fan of the team whose taker was told it was the last kick, and, he felt it added pressure to an already vital kick.

Who cares if time is exactly up (it's not an exact science anyway)?
Just wait until the ball is in the net or cleared by a defender
Why be clever and open the door to fracas?
Some comp rules don't allow stoppage times. When the PK offence happens just inside the normal time, you have to spend a good couple of minutes dealing with the aftermath and with the coaches are timing the halves (or even without it), you don't really have much of a choice.

but I also would be fine stopping game soon as keeper saves ( if thats indeed what happens)
This is neither correct in law nor the expectation:

1554386999626.png

Some comp rules don't allow stoppage times. When the PK offence happens just inside the normal time, you have to spend a good couple of minutes dealing with the aftermath and with the coaches are timing the halves (or even without it), you don't really have much of a choice.

This is neither correct in law nor the expectation:

View attachment 3361

I am going to take a total guess that the referee on Tues reads "other than the defending gk", as time up.

I have actually done this...just told both teams that time is up as soon as the penalty had been taken and the result of the kick is known.........barring the keeper saving the penalty then throwing it in his own net.....I'd be correct......

Hmm. I would think that once the keeper holds the ball, I would consider that as stops moving within the meaning and spirit of Law 14. If the GK grabs it and then throws it in the goal to celebrate, I don't have a goal. (Of course, if he knocks a moving ball into the goal, then it would be a goal.)

IMHO a few things are important here:
  • Don't tell players to leave the field or get away from the PA--especially defenders have a legitimate reason to charge so they can clear a ball and avoid one of those freaky bouncy goals that spins back (some referees have advocated for this or even argued that players are not allowed to enter the PA, but that is not supported by law)
  • Do tell players that time is up and being extended for the PK--you don't want to announce that after an attacker drills the rebound into the back of the goal. And attackers who know they can't score are less likely to charge and do something stupid.
An interesting (yet highly unlikely) scenario: extended time PK, GK save, but ball is spinning back towards the goal. As the ball is on the goal line about to enter the goal, a defender slides into the ball knocking it into the goal. Ruling? LOTG or SOTG?

An interesting (yet highly unlikely) scenario: extended time PK, GK save, but ball is spinning back towards the goal. As the ball is on the goal line about to enter the goal, a defender slides into the ball knocking it into the goal. Ruling? LOTG or SOTG?

The game ends as soon as the defender touches it. No goal. Spirit of the game is not to be invoked just to save the referee from making the hard decisions he or she is paid to make. This is why I fully endorse explaining the situation to the players before the kick is taken.

in a shoot out though, if keeper throws it in, its a goal

plenty clips on line as so.

Don't care what they show on line: in a shoot out (KFTPM), if the keeper "throws it in", it's no goal. If the keeper fumbles it, has no control and it rebounds in, or if the keeper while attempting to push ball clear sends it into their own net: goal.

I’ve done this in a high level u18 girls’ game.

Not a final and not so intense for me but serious coaches and players.

Penalty time clearly the last act. Players very eager. I felt it was very smart to tell it was the last act.

It was saved and I blew. No drama.

So it’s yes, yes from me.

The kicker already has all the pressure. There’s no extra from knowing there are zero seconds remaining from maybe 20 or 30. You don’t aporoach a pen thinking if I miss there’s every chance I’ll gobble the rebound... imho

Don't care what they show on line: in a shoot out (KFTPM), if the keeper "throws it in", it's no goal. If the keeper fumbles it, has no control and it rebounds in, or if the keeper while attempting to push ball clear sends it into their own net: goal.

ok do the actual laws help you then, which say

• The kick is completed when the ball stops moving, goes out of play or the referee stops play for any infringement of the Laws

keeper throwing it in, goal

so, maybe its time to digest some online clips, as, they have it right, whereas based on your post, you, don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been getting $600 annual insurance for my car 10 years in row now, cost me $6000 and I haven't got a single $ back. But you know what I'll get it again next year because if I have an accident with a $50K damage bill, I wont have to pay anything. Doing the right thing at a PK is a little short term pain but it covers your a$$ for that one time (next game or 10 years down the track) when the ball is till on the move after a rebound and you have not wrongly stopped a defender from saving it.

On a separate note, I'll leave this here. Goal or no goal? (ignore the rest of the WTF stuff)

bit closer to home, also a goal ( I dont mean, goal, as in, its given as a goal in the clip), but, a perfectly valid goal in KFTPM

Back