A&H

Pitch quality

The Referee Store
Played on "worse" yesterday, but that's SHOCKING from the groundskeepers' team at the club.

By all accounts, pictures can be very deceiving. The sand has filled large holes/divots caused by the Commonwealth Games rugby 7s games being played on it in the last couple of weeks and the sand is not compacted/stable so there are basically sanded large holes across areas of the pitch.

By all accounts, pictures can be very deceiving. The sand has filled large holes/divots caused by the Commonwealth Games rugby 7s games being played on it in the last couple of weeks and the sand is not compacted/stable so there are basically sanded large holes across areas of the pitch.
Yeah, the sand is covering it up. I saw a photo of huge cracks and holes in the pitch, there's no way they can play a pro game on that.

I have one rule regards the playability of a pitch, and one rule only.

If I'm there, we play.
Well you are a fool then. Referees are responsible for inspecting the pitch and ensuring it is safe, if it isn't safe it is extremely irresponsible to play the game.

This Coventry pitch thing was all over TalkS*** at the time and IIRC there was some drama about the agreement between the owners and the football club.

This Coventry pitch thing was all over TalkS*** at the time and IIRC there was some drama about the agreement between the owners and the football club.
Yeah, they'd had the Commonwealth rugby 7s on there. The owners promised to put a new pitch down after it but never did, and seemingly didn't do much to repair it either.

If I'm there, we play.

i refuse to believe you are a registered and/or qualified referee

and if you are, well you are on the wind up

( there are plenty more subtle wind up merchants online already, you will need to up your game if thats your best effort)

Last edited:

If I'm there, we play.
Referee has a duty to safety of players, and their other match officials.

Pulled from FA's Pitch Inspection Guidance: 'It is vital from the referees view point that when asked to undertake a pitch inspection, you do so professionally and remembering the overriding factor of player safety. At the forefront of your mind you must always think - is the playing surface safe to play on?'

To play under any conditions is a dangerous mindset.

Yesterday I had a game and the pitch was on a school playing field and it had a rounders pitch in the middle and the markings were like the water board were laying new pipes. Thankfully they had remarked the pitch in white markings so there were now 2 pitch markings and a rounders pitch. Week before on a different school pitch there was a running track marked down one side of the pitch, the good old rounders pitch and one of the touchlines wasnt marked so had to use cones. Funding is scarce for grassroots sports to say the least but teams have to pay to use these venues so they should be better

During the season our local council bought fancy GPS-guided line marking machines.
So they remarked a bunch of the fields, in the same colour as the old lines.

I confirmed with everyone for each game, especially both keepers, which line was which.
In one area of the pitch, the 18-yard box was at least a yard different.

Back