A&H

Pitch Markings

Dino Ref

Evening all,

Just want to look for some clarity regarding some situations I'm finding myself in when refereeing some teams.

The ground is a big field and has quite literally no markings.

Usually coaches have cones however I'm getting quite sick of this as it's not fun to referee when you know your decisions are inconsistent and you can never get into the game.

My last match however (U14) the coach had no cones. We were only able to play as the grass had been cut short on the actual pitch part.

Whilst not ideal both teams agreed to play and believe me I regret it and would never do this again.

For next time I am going to say to them that if there are no cones than there's no game. Should I also be saying that even with cones the game won't start if there's no pitch markings?

Part of me thinks I'm overreacting but another part of me thinks that I should be informing the league and refusing to start all games without proper pitch markings.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Depends on the level and expectations. The higher the level the more you just don't play without proper markings. The lower the level, the more it's worth shrugging and just letting them have fun.

Depends on the level and expectations. The higher the level the more you just don't play without proper markings. The lower the level, the more it's worth shrugging and just letting them have fun.
I am guessing you are very good at anticipating play. You know the question before it's asked 😊

@socal lurker got it. It's frustrating but it is what it is. You are there to provide a service. Sometimes things are not ideal. It depends on you personality also. A good analogy would be where do you draw the line for dissent.

For me if it's a proper competition where they keep scores and a table, I won't play without some sort of pitch marking.

I would say it depends on the level and probably the age group. At adult level in a competitive game if there are no pitch markings there will be no game. I can live with things being missing, like the D, penalty spot, corner arcs, even centre circles, as you can estimate those, but the basics of the pitch have to be marked out. Can you imagine giving a foul close to where the edge of the penalty area would be, you'd be in a world of trouble.

I would say it depends on the level and probably the age group. At adult level in a competitive game if there are no pitch markings there will be no game. I can live with things being missing, like the D, penalty spot, corner arcs, even centre circles, as you can estimate those, but the basics of the pitch have to be marked out. Can you imagine giving a foul close to where the edge of the penalty area would be, you'd be in a world of trouble.
I agree with it being like that for adults.

Just with it being U14 and quite low level where games usually end 6-4 or something like that I don't want to be seen as spoiling the fun over something that some may not even consider a big issue

Look at it this way. Even at kids levels the clubs are there to provide a service to the parents and the kids. They are charging them for the privilege of playing for the team in the form of subs etc. Providing a suitable pitch for them is the least they can do.
On one hand you want the kids to play and have fun, on the other hand until something is said or done about it, it will carry on week after week and no-one will ever be any the wiser.

A compromise could be to play it, but then make a report to the league and your RDO after the game.

Kids shouldn't have to suffer because they've been let down with the pitch. 13 year old just want to play football. I'd play the game and just make it clear to the managers that you're going to do your best at a now impossible job. I wouldn't take any sort of whinging about ball in/out calls that's for sure. Would be shut down straight away.

But let the kids play a game if footy they've been loking forward to. Their safety isn't at risk so I'd play it, albeit begrudgingly and in no mood for nonsense from the sidelines!

Look at it this way. Even at kids levels the clubs are there to provide a service to the parents and the kids. They are charging them for the privilege of playing for the team in the form of subs etc. Providing a suitable pitch for them is the least they can do.
On one hand you want the kids to play and have fun, on the other hand until something is said or done about it, it will carry on week after week and no-one will ever be any the wiser.

A compromise could be to play it, but then make a report to the league and your RDO after the game.
Think this is the best idea. Cheers mate.

For me if it's a proper competition where they keep scores and a table, I won't play without some sort of pitch marking.
That sums it up for me. In any kind of organised football, pitch markings should be present. I've seen some poor marking and on more than one occasion asked teams to redo the lines before kick off. No lines/markings at all would be non starter for me.

I don't really get how to do a game with no markings.. There has to be something.

I think I could cope with cones, especially the flat ones as a temp measure.

Id make it abundantly clear it was being reported to the league and I was starting the game for the kids enjoyment, providing both teams still wanted to play and there was any grief from players, managers or spectators I'd be blowing the whistle and abandoning the game.

At the level I ref at. If the lines aren't clear enough they get repainted before we start.

I don't really get how to do a game with no markings.. There has to be something.

I think I could cope with cones, especially the flat ones as a temp measure.

Id make it abundantly clear it was being reported to the league and I was starting the game for the kids enjoyment, providing both teams still wanted to play and there was any grief from players, managers or spectators I'd be blowing the whistle and abandoning the game.

At the level I ref at. If the lines aren't clear enough they get repainted before we start.
One of my local Step 5 grounds is 'looked after' (if you can call it that) by the council - I was refereeing them on the Saturday, and apparently the council repainted the lines on the Thursday, and then came to cut the grass on the Friday, meaning the club had to repaint them again themselves prior to the game 🤦‍♂️

Another time (with the same club) I was refereeing them on a Tuesday night, and the council had repainted the lines on a Monday... despite the large amount of rain that was forecast for later on the Monday. Yet again, I had to get someone from the club to come out and repaint some of the lines!

One of my local Step 5 grounds is 'looked after' (if you can call it that) by the council - I was refereeing them on the Saturday, and apparently the council repainted the lines on the Thursday, and then came to cut the grass on the Friday, meaning the club had to repaint them again themselves prior to the game 🤦‍♂️

Another time (with the same club) I was refereeing them on a Tuesday night, and the council had repainted the lines on a Monday... despite the large amount of rain that was forecast for later on the Monday. Yet again, I had to get someone from the club to come out and repaint some of the lines!
Sounds similar to another step 5 club I have frequented.

It's basically on a public park. How it meets ground grading I have no idea

Cones on boundary lines in line with penalty area
Flags in corners and halfway
I would give a kids match/adult friendly every chance, providing both teams agreed that it was this or nothing
Both teams would be aware post match regardless of result the issue be reported to whoever
Agree witn other comments, nobody demands a freeride but any grief ( other than cynically a team being 6-0 down then using the lines issue to moan)) then its me effectively doing the teams a turn by playing ( providing they agreed pre match) then in return they cut me some slack,
Maybe this be the one occaaion I could be in support of a club AR even if only for ball in out play. ( as someone who has never used one)
Lines issue reported post match
Match fee in advance, if this was not already the case

Adults, competitve, cant imagine they would want to play but would need to be there at the time

Any semi pro, pro etc, no, no game, we dont ask a lot as referee, we turn up on time, with gear, and apply lotg the best we can, in return the teams provide a ball, differing kits, and a suitable pitch,

Back