A&H

Pitch invader

SM

The avuncular one
New one for me today. Ladies cup game. A player goes down while attacking, no challenge so I just assume tired or cramp. Both teams play on, so I am not stopping the game (her own team could have put the ball out didn't want to).

When the ball goes out of play, I run over and there is a female supporter on the pitch by her.

"Get off the pitch please"

"But I am her mum!"

"I don't care, get off the pitch!"

"Mum get off the pitch your embarrassing me!"

It was cramp.

:rolleyes:

The Referee Store
I had a U15 game today and Yellows goalkeeper got injured pretty bad, he was down for 4-5 minutes, had to be replaced and was quite badly winded. Poor lad was fighting back the tears, and his mum actually called me over and asked if she could come onto the pitch. Really appreciated that she'd asked rather than just strode on, so I let her come and sit with him while he was being treated. Who could it've harmed. :)

guy came on the pitch with the team manager in second half injury time to tend to an injured player

knelt down beside the player, looked up at me and said, 'you're sh@t, ref'

u14's game with about ten lads within hearing distance

needless to say, the misconduct report has already gone in

Im afraid i think i can beat these,

Watching a u8s game one weekend (my mate reffing it) (reds v blues), 6-6 last minute, red tackles blue very fairly, he nips in off a loose touch from blue and blue goes to kick ball but kicks reds leg, blue goes down crying saying hes hurt his foot, red stumbles but keeps going, ref plays advantage, hes only playing on because its a goalscoring opportunity (which IMO is fair enough) and as he gets closer to the penalty area, the manager of the OPPOSITION runs on and picks the striker (whos about to score) up and stops him getting a shot away... Ref sends him away and tries to stop bedlam occuring, parents shouting and threatening each other, dads at each others throats, coaches shouting their mouths off (no change there i know) the ref just looks at me like 'help me now before this gets ridiculous, luckily i was refereeing on the adjacent pitch after that game had finished so he invited me on as a very impromptu 4th official so between us we separated the teams and calmed them down and the game went on, luckily justice was done as reds scored straight after the drop ball!

The OPPOSITION manager picked up a kid from the other team? I'd be sending for that, reporting and possibly raising a concern with LWO too.

Can't really beat any of that, but I have had little toddlers running on the pitch at tournaments and once this summer I had a massive dog run on the pitch, had to be refereeing u8's at the time, so they were all scared sh*tless and I had to remind the owner that dogs weren't actually aloud.........

As long as you understand that neither you, nor steve's mate, had or have any authority to do so, assuming that we're in a public place, then everything's cushty :rolleyes:

As long as you understand that neither you, nor steve's mate, had or have any authority to do so, assuming that we're in a public place, then everything's cushty :rolleyes:

But you can send him packing in the sense of revoking his privileges as team manager? You can also refuse to play if he is in the vicinity of the pitch, forcing him to move on... and in the specific situation stated, I would do that, considering the guy had practically just assaulted an eight year old.

But you can send him packing in the sense of revoking his privileges as team manager? You can also refuse to play if he is in the vicinity of the pitch, forcing him to move on... and in the specific situation stated, I would do that, considering the guy had practically just assaulted an eight year old.

No, you can't 'revoke his priviledges as team manager' in what I am still assuming is a public place. You can warn him about his conduct and you can tell him that he's being reported for misconduct. Anything else, you can, of course, do but it will be beyond your remit as a referee in this situation.

As for 'the guy had practically assaulted an eight year old' or possibly even a seven year old, whilst I'm not sure whether picking a child up in the situation described constitutes assault, neither of us saw it so we can't possibly comme....doh!

If this happened to me, game doesn't continue until the idiot in question is gone. If he does not walk, game over. You can't make him leave, but you can make it very difficult for him to stay

Gone where, exactly. 5 yards from the pitch, ten, the car-park, out of town, specifics, monkey, specifics

What's wrong with following guidelines that I imagine most county f.a's will have. Hands up those whose counties specifically advise to send someone away from the fop in a public place

Look at me refereeing is clearly alive and well

Away from he vicinity of the field of play. I would want him out of sight and not likely to cause anymore issues. Specifics are difficult without a layout of the area. ;)

Telling him that you'll be reporting his actions to the county f.a. and that any other misconduct on his part will also result in you abandoning the match may be just as effective in avoiding further issues

Providing that it's done in a professional manner, of course

p.s. how far is 'out of sight' on the hackney marshes, I wonder

Telling him that you'll be reporting his actions to the county f.a. and that any other misconduct on his part will also result in you abandoning the match may be just as effective in avoiding further issues

Providing that it's done in a professional manner, of course

p.s. how far is 'out of sight' on the hackney marshes, I wonder

"Any other misconduct on his part"... what more do you want other than assaulting a seven/eight year old.

And yes haywain it's assault... if someone walked up to a seven year old child on the street and picked them up and it was evident the child didn't know/was no relation to this person, what would you do?

In this case I would not be continuing until he's out of the vicinity of the pitch, if he refused I'd abandon and I'd be considering a report put into the police too.

"Any other misconduct on his part"... what more do you want other than assaulting a seven/eight year old.

And yes haywain it's assault... if someone walked up to a seven year old child on the street and picked them up and it was evident the child didn't know/was no relation to this person, what would you do?

In this case I would not be continuing until he's out of the vicinity of the pitch, if he refused I'd abandon and I'd be considering a report put into the police too.

Evan, why you persist in calling it assault when you didn't see the incident and the only eye witness we have doesn't refer to it in such dramatic terms, I don't know.

Misconduct is a generic term. The manager entering the field of play uninvited could be construed as misconduct, picking up the child to prevent him from kicking the ball is certainly misconduct and, yes, had the manager's action been regarded as assault then that, too, would fall into the category of misconduct.

As for the rest of your 'outraged of tunbridge' reply, I've already acknowledged that you can do what you want, even if it is outside your remit as a referee.

Last edited:
Personally would be abandoning if he stayed pitch side.

Whilst not assault, it is certainly not OK to do such things.

Personally would be reporting and speaking to club welfare officers of both teams. A coach that does this should not be involved in kids football. Simples.

Back