A&H

Pitch inspections

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
Hey all,

I'm not a new referee per say but this is the first season where I've actually been asked/required to carry out pitch inspection due to the weather.
Previously, the games I've reffed at L7 & 6 have mostly been on council owned pitches and they've made the call on whether a game goes ahead or not.

Now that I'm reffing a better standard, more of the pitches are owned by the clubs and they're starting to ask for pitch inspections.

I was chatting a few other refs recently and there was some disagreement about what we should do if, for example, 5% of the pitch is dodgy but 95% is ok.
Does anyone have any advice around how much you can get away with? Obviously if that 5% is submerged then it's a given that the game doesn't go ahead, I'm talking about a small percentage that is very soft/wet rather than submerged etc.

The Referee Store
I think the standard is 7.36% . . . .

Seriously, I don't think there are a lot of magic rules here. How dodgy is that 5% and where is it? How bad it has to be to be unplayable is different if it is in the PA than on the touchline. Ultimately it's a judgment based on all the factors about the pitch.

I'm talking about a small percentage that is very soft/wet rather than submerged etc.

Location is an important issue.

If it's out wide by the corner flags, you absolutely can get away with it. If it is very central, through the middle and/or the box, then it may be better to err and cancel the game, especially if weather conditions won't improve, because that middle will become a quagmire once people start running across it and it will spread from the 5% over tbh.

The other factor to consider is safety; squishy fields can be managed, but are you genuinely sinking in it? If the mud is coming up to your ankles, then clearly, it isn't happening. If the ground is giving away when you're treading on it, then it isn't going to cope with someone barrelling in at speed or on the turn. And again, will that 5% spread over the course of the match?

Everyone seems to have a different level of tolerance though, so I don't think you'll have full agreement unless the pitch is an absolute farce - and I've had teams willing to play on those too!

The closest I've come to calling a game off was Dec last year, the top left hand corner of the pitch was very soft. Both sides keen to play but the corner was an obvious concern.
It was agreed that we'd give it a go on the provision that the teams were sensible in that corner and I'd be extra strict with penalising challenges in that corner.
That seemed to work out well, I gave a soft free kick in the corner about 10 mins into the 1st half and then don't remember there being another tackle in that area. Everyone just avoided it!

The FA website and many CFA sites offer useful guidance re inspections.
Rule of thumb - not sure? = say "no"
There have been claims against referees for injuries during games played after inspection(s)

Everyone seems to have a different level of tolerance though, so I don't think you'll have full agreement unless the pitch is an absolute farce - and I've had teams willing to play on those too!

My only start in my high school soccer career was on a farce of a field that both teams wanted to play. It was supposed to be our home game, but the college we played at close the field. So we went to the other school and played on their practice field (which was also their American football practice field and in bad shape already). We had large standing puddles in various places--a couple big enough for the ball to float. No way the field was playable in a meaningful sense, but it was toward the end of the season, we were a top two team in the league and they were a bottom two, and neither team wanted to have to try to reschedule. Our starting keeper was sick, so I played. I gave up one goal, over my head (which was rare, as I'm tall)--I tried to jump, but my feet stuck in the mud . . .

I abandoned a game because the home team had dug drainage ditches across the pitch and not told anyone. The ditches didn't stand out because the pitch was pretty cut up anyway and there wasn't a lot of grass anywhere due to a very wet winter. The team had an FA Vase semi final on it a week later so wanted to improve the drainage because of the rain but the ground hadn't had time to recover. They didn't tell me so I couldn't do a full inspection in the morning and arrived at the normal time, at the same time as the away team coach. We did our warm up and everything seemed fine. Then after about 15 minutes a player sprinted down the centre and his foot sank into the ground down to his knee.
They then said "that's the new drainage channel!" Brilliant!

At that point we're obviously going home, but the teams still wanted to play, and the supporters weren't happy either. I had people asking me "what about if we sign something to say you're not to blame if anyone breaks their leg!" and the home team asking who's going to pay expenses?
Not my problem. Perhaps if you'd mentioned this earlier you wouldn't have had any expenses to pay!

If you're asked to do a pitch inspection try to do it on your own so you can make your own decision. Other people often have a vested interest in the game taking place or not. (Take boots to wear while you are walking round.) Also, if you are unsure try changing into football boots and run across it, gently at first, then if it's ok go a bit harder. But be aware that it may give so be careful before really going for it. As already said, the area of the pitch will decide how important it is. If the 5% is a penalty area then that's a high traffic area and will get worse, as well as being more important. Out by the touchline is less well used and the corners even less so. You are more likely to get away with it out here.

If you're concerned about whether the ball will roll then take a ball out with you and try it. Also consider whether it's likely to rain again, because what's OK now may not be in a few minutes after players have been playing on it and the rain is lashing down.

I dont think you can put a percentage on it..
Special attention is given to the high traffic areas through the centre of the pitch.
Above all player safety is the highest consideration.
Dug these out from my files and is the latest I have.

Attachments

• pitch-inspection-guidance (1).pdf
    325.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Pitch Inspection Advice.pdf
    188 KB · Views: 45
I have little experience of pitch inspections as yet, but I'd hope I wouldn't be easily influenced by the home club (groundsman or whoever), as I'm sure pressure gets applied on refs for reasons that have nothing to do with match day pitch conditions
Consideration has to be given to the away club. I'd be more interested in paying close attention the the weather forecast/radar images. These days, we can't claim ignorance as to what the weather is about to do

As an L4 and L3 I did more than my fair share of pitch inspections, including almost all at my local club that had a somewhat notorious pitch. Sometimes I didn't even need to get put of the car and could sign the postponement form through the car window, other times needed a thorough inspection.

The key thing for me is don't start if you don't think the game will finish. If the pitch is holding water an hour before kick off you might get away with it if there is no further rain forecast, but if more rain is due you are going to be struggling. Likewise with a frozen pitch, if it is frozen after midday it probably won't be getting any better, certainly not after 2pm, and for evening games if it is borderline at 18:30 it will almost certainly be unplayable by 21:30. The last thing you want to be doing is starting a game and then abandoning, as the law of sod says the score won't be level when you do so and rather one team will be leading, which means you will be put under immense pressure from one team wanting to abandon and the other wanting to carry on.

Speak to the groundsman about the ground conditions, but do the inspection on your own or just with your assistants. It water is the problem take a ball out with you to see how it rolls and bounces (or doesn't). If the problem is frost and ice put your boots on and try running and stopping, changing direction, etc. If you are struggling with your footing the players certainly will be, and that should help to make your decision.

Strange. Every match I do involves inspection, regardless of weather.

I have never accepted non-referees to clear a field for play. I, and my ARs if I have them, inspect.

I have found goals not properly secure, sprinkler systems not safely concealed, damaged fields, etc.

If it isn't safe...

Back