A&H

Pickford vs Newcastle

The Referee Store
The fouled attacker did not have the ball. I’m *guessing* the R thought it was not sufficiently obvious that the attacker would have collected the ball in the absence of the foul.

The fouled attacker did not have the ball. I’m *guessing* the R thought it was not sufficiently obvious that the attacker would have collected the ball in the absence of the foul.
The ball was travelling slowly, it was blatantly obvious he was LIKELY to gain control. Huge misjudgement. Even, so it's still SPA.

All well and good but by same token, its not a genuine attempt by gk to tackle
Red for me, look where the ball lands, right on corner of the 6 where the striker is ready to roll it home...except he cant cos he been polaxed

To be clear, I was not arguing for the correctness of the call, just suggesting what the R must have been thinking to not get to DOGSO.

Personally, that's what I find useful--figuring out what the root cause of the mistake is, as the whole reason I think about these is to try to be prepared to avoid mistakes.

It's a red for me. Is Pickford was a field player and did this I'm fairly certain he would have been sent off. I don't see why he shouldn't as a goal keeper.
If anything it's more of a send off for goalkeeper as the covering defender can't dive to save a shot with his hands.

This is also humiliating for the 4th. What on earth is he meant to say when the Newcastle manager is going ape demanding an explaination?

"sorry Rafa, the ref got it right" Which is wrong, and lies
"sorry Rafa I dont have a good view on it" Which, is also wrong, but possibly not lies
"Sorry rafa, I agree its a red but Lee Mason says no" Which, if the 4th see's a red card offence, he is duty bound to inform the referee as one of his responsibilities is to assist with controlling the game.
Sorry Rafa, am leaving that to the ref", Which, is a severe cop out

The implications of the on field ref messing up are far reaching.

This is also humiliating for the 4th. What on earth is he meant to say when the Newcastle manager is going ape demanding an explaination?

"sorry Rafa, the ref got it right" Which is wrong, and lies
"sorry Rafa I dont have a good view on it" Which, is also wrong, but possibly not lies
"Sorry rafa, I agree its a red but Lee Mason says no" Which, if the 4th see's a red card offence, he is duty bound to inform the referee as one of his responsibilities is to assist with controlling the game.
Sorry Rafa, am leaving that to the ref", Which, is a severe cop out

The implications of the on field ref messing up are far reaching.
Which are you going with?

I think it’s DOGSO red.
No genuine attempt for the ball and the attacker would tap that in at the far post.
Not the best decision from Lee Mason.

I would hate the role of 4th official in the PL
Presiding over subs whilst spending 90 minutes as a sounding board for both benches; relentless explaining of someone else's actions. No thanks

I would hate the role of 4th official in the PL
Presiding over subs whilst spending 90 minutes as a sounding board for both benches; relentless explaining of someone else's actions. No thanks

Its hell. You are simply a sounding board for the other three out there

I have heard me say early doors, i am not spending 90 mins as a tour gude, any questions write them down and I ask the ref at ht

Its hell. You are simply a sounding board for the other three out there

I have heard me say early doors, i am not spending 90 mins as a tour gude, any questions write them down and I ask the ref at ht
What do you say when you know the ref is wrong, at grassroots level?
Tell a manager the ref has given a penalty against them and it's wrong, they'll kick up a fuss and demand you tell the ref.
Lie and you look incompetent.
Something like "in the opinion of the referee..." best fit?

What do you say when you know the ref is wrong, at grassroots level?
Tell a manager the ref has given a penalty against them and it's wrong, they'll kick up a fuss and demand you tell the ref.
Lie and you look incompetent.
Something like "in the opinion of the referee..." best fit?

Its a balancing act,
"Not sure I would have given that but....
"He is better placed than us...
And so on..

Team work helps, I work/worked with the same guys a lot and as ref I encouraged the 4th/ar to have a free mind, come in with stuff like "i dont think it was but he has given it so thats that" or, "if he wants my input he knows just to ask"

Sometimes tell them what they want to hear, sometimes just point blank tell them the ref is correct, total balancing act

Not an easy chore at all. Humour, empathy, firmness,humility, all rolled into one

Reactions: JH
Back