A&H

Pick the bones out of this

The Referee Store
Referee says that Red 7 was going to be a third dismissal, but after walking Blue 11, their players were "so abusive" he called time on it all.
And at no stage did he start giving cards for it, he just seems to be pointing them away

The whole incident could've been avoided if the ref didn't take half hour to arrive on the scene, reacting much quicker with the whistle. The headbutt was missed completely and the wrongful dismissal of blue 11 ultimately contributed (heavily) to abandonment

Blue 11 may have gone for the headlock or possibly even comments made. He’s told to calm down when being dealt with and wouldn’t surprise me if something was said that made it red.

Personally can't see an abandonment there.
He should take the worst offender. Sin bin. See if that calms them down. They soon get the message. Should have been 2 reds for reds. 1 headbutt. 1 stamp. And I can almost argue a red for blue 11.
As a development point referee probably ends up too close and had same view as assistant almost.
Secondly, when the reds were being given he was sending players back past a crowd of players. Lucky it didn't kick off again.
If you know there are reds, hold the inquiry towards the changing rooms where possible. Or move your position that way before administering sanctions. That way players hopefully have a clear pathway to the changing rooms.

He should take the worst offender. Sin bin. See if that calms them down. They soon get the message. Should have been 2 reds for reds. 1 headbutt. 1 stamp. And I can almost argue a red for blue 11.
As a development point referee probably ends up too close and had same view as assistant almost.
Secondly, when the reds were being given he was sending players back past a crowd of players. Lucky it didn't kick off again.
If you know there are reds, hold the inquiry towards the changing rooms where possible. Or move your position that way before administering sanctions. That way players hopefully have a clear pathway to the changing rooms.

absolutely, making the red player walk past the blue team after being sent off was asking for trouble

i wouldnt have a go at the ref for getting into that position during the confrontation, he has to be in the best position for himself and then i'd say it's up to the assistants to get differing views to the ref

Blue 11 may have gone for the headlock or possibly even comments made. He’s told to calm down when being dealt with and wouldn’t surprise me if something was said that made it red.

"For the clash of heads" is what he's said on Twitter.

I think his comments are fair, but probably best not to be put on Twitter since he might have opened himself up to admitting he's gotten some stuff incorrect...

I don't know, if he felt the abuse was enough to abandon then I support his decision to do so, I don't really want to go in-depth and critical on this one as it's a current event under review and I think he needs support rather than any criticism at the moment.

"For the clash of heads" is what he's said on Twitter.

I think his comments are fair, but probably best not to be put on Twitter since he might have opened himself up to admitting he's gotten some stuff incorrect...

I don't know, if he felt the abuse was enough to abandon then I support his decision to do so, I don't really want to go in-depth and critical on this one as it's a current event under review and I think he needs support rather than any criticism at the moment.
He is commenting on social media on red card+abandonment incidents in a game? He will get a lengthy ban if he did that here (longer than doing scissor paper rock for kick off). There is due process to be followed and social media comments from the referee will taint that process.

I agree with your last comment. I find some criticism here a bit harsh and much easier to see in hindsight. Although some other comments are just analysis of the situation.

The whole incident could've been avoided if the ref didn't take half hour to arrive on the scene, reacting much quicker with the whistle. The headbutt was missed completely and the wrongful dismissal of blue 11 ultimately contributed (heavily) to abandonment
I disagree. I think blue 11 is red for the choke hold. And there’s no guarantee that different ref actions would prevent a stamp on the face.

The ref’s comments on Twitter are measured, calm and brilliant IMHO and show how much a human response helps all of us.

The very last thing on my mind (following an abandonment like this), would be to take to Tweeter or Spamface to make matters worse
In defence of the officials, very few of us would've correctly identified the correct sanctions, let alone have delivered them in a textbook manner
One must assume that the referee was very concerned by the verbal exchange that preceded the abandonment
Some good development points listed above, but for me the ref was very slow off the mark. An SPL ref would've been best placed to handle this melee

Agree with all of that, I don't quite see enough for a red for blue 11 personally but I'd back the referee on it regardless.

Where he took the players was crazy, he must take them to an area that means when sent off they have a clear path to the tunnel. And I'm not sure going right to the barrier is a good idea either as supporters can make their way around to have their say and he's even potentially putting himself and assistants at risk if some idiot decides to come and have a swing at them.

Also can't for the life of me understand the lengthy debate before the red cards. Just get the name, tell them they are off, and show the cards, pointless saying anything else to them as it isn't as if they are going to cause you any further problems from the changing rooms. The abandonment looks odd, but we don't know what was said.

Saving the worst for last, the Twitter engagement, that is just plain madness. That's a step 5 game so a level 4 referee, and I suspect he is going to have a rather heavy book thrown at him.

Saving the worst for last, the Twitter engagement, that is just plain madness. That's a step 5 game so a level 4 referee, and I suspect he is going to have a rather heavy book thrown at him.

You’ve also got Ref Support UK on there praising him for his contribution on Twitter as well as part of that post. Terrible advice

This shows that as refs we have to be on it at all times as this incident came off the back of a simple foul.

I thought the ref handled the situation quite well and given that there had been a head butt and someone deliberately stamping on someone's face I think he made the right call.

With FA guidelines as they are I strongly discourage anyone commenting on the incidents in their matches on any social media platform especially Twitter and Facebook.

It may seem reasonable. You may only be explaining decisions but it leaves you open to sanction and invites keyboard warriors to pile in on you.

You’ve also got Ref Support UK on there praising him for his contribution on Twitter as well as part of that post. Terrible advice

Yes, although in fairness I'm not sure they knew about the Twitter comments when they posted. They have a view that referees should be able to post on social media about games, which in some scenarios I agree with, but not in this case as when there is a disciplinary case it is a big no no.

Ok from a learning point of view. Say that you are going to send off red 2 and 7, blue 11. What is an appropriate way?

Flashing the cards or take names and slow the process down?
7 seemed the start it but 2 was worst offender imho (stamp) does he go 1st?

Can we stop and acknowldge that the piece of sh*t No 2 should be banned for a year!!
Absolutely disgusting!
Why the hell did the referee spend so long explaining his decision to him? Stamp on head? See you later mate....

Not sure what comment can be made that a red card wouldn't suffice.
Also, I'd have been sending off the 2 red players first if I knew I was about to send off a lad that just had his face stamped on!!

This is a great teaching tool for new refs though.

Back