A&H

Physio as a sub

BES

Had a game today where a sub was also named as the physio.

What would happen if this person came on as a sub, got sent off, would he be allowed back onto the field of play to treat someone with an injury as a physio?

As he had been sent off in theory he shouldn't be allowed on the field of play?

Luckily this didn't happen but All 3 officials wasn't sure of the answer

The Referee Store
Player/physio? That's a messy one!
I'd say he'd have to be allowed to hang around and come onto the field to look after the player, though any disparaging remarks would be reported.

I wouldn't ......if he cant behave as a player he is off for the duration IMO ?

you wouldn't let a dismissed player run the line .....he has to take responsibility for his actions !

Someone else on bucket duty !:)

I'd swear I've heard before if a physio is a player and gets sent off he is allowed to stay in the vicinity of the FOP provided he behaves of course.

Had a similar incident yesterday on supply league line. Referee had to report him as you can't bin the physio.

We had a variation of this a little while ago.

It's not great, if the physio comes on and gets injured, hello mess!

If he gets sent off, it really depends on what he has done. Some offences, you just don't want him hanging about near te pitch.

Wouldn't it be wonderfully ironic if he pulled up injured. Obviously I don't wish injury on anybody but it would be quite funny!

We had a variation of this a little while ago.

It's not great, if the physio comes on and gets injured, hello mess!

If he gets sent off, it really depends on what he has done. Some offences, you just don't want him hanging about near te pitch.
SM ...I still don't think he should be coming back on to the FOP in any capacity if he has been sent off as a player !

Likewise if as a physio he is sent away from the FOP he would not be coming on as a player !!

No chance ;)

Can't see where it says I can't bin a physio. If he commits an offence bad enough to be sent off he will be leaving the VOTFOP.

It's a tricky one. Some league and competition rules stipulate a physio or first aider must be present. If he is not, the game cannot continue.

It's a tricky one. Some league and competition rules stipulate a physio or first aider must be present. If he is not, the game cannot continue.

Well my job means I have more 1st aid quals than probably any physio I'm ever likely to come across, but even if I didn't the responsibilty is then on the physio to behave in a responsible manner, not me to allow an irresponsible physio to hang around

Well my job means I have more 1st aid quals than probably any physio I'm ever likely to come across, but even if I didn't the responsibilty is then on the physio to behave in a responsible manner, not me to allow an irresponsible physio to hang around
100% agree physio or not he has to take responsibility for his actions

this is really a hypothetical scenario ....as most teams who have a proper" physio " ....will be set up with a proper squad of players and wont be naming him on the team sheet ?

We are not talking Sunday s bucket and sponge man here ! :)

Callum has hit the nail firmly on the head here and i have seen it done. Physio caused the ref an issue with constant shouting, dissent and OFFINABUS. The referee went straight over the the oppositions dug out and asked the Physio if he would mind taking care of the opposing players who agreed staright away. Mr offensive Physio, off you go please.

Just ask the oppo physio to take up the reins
Some league rules, normally step 7 and above, require each club to have their own physio. Therefore, removing him from the FOP area means you would have to abandon.

If this happened in PL, the physio would leave the tech area, but normally stand in the tunnel so he can still treat the players.

Back