A&H

Phone calls

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Between what times would you say is an appropriate time to be calling referees?

I was on a day off yesterday from work and got a phone call at 0644 to give me details about the game this weekend. I ignored it. But that didn't stop them. They tried again at 0645!

I only know it was them as they rang at a more convenient time of 1851. This time I answered. As he is telling me the details, he was not sure what he was saying and kept confusing himself with colours of opponents etc.

I mention it was my day off, as it was also my birthday. I booked the day off for a nice relaxing day but ended up being woken up before the time my alarm goes off for me to go to work, so was not happy.

The Referee Store
How was he to know it was your day off? :D

I'm up for work at 6.30 am Mon-Fri. A call then is fine for me.

Try ringing me on a weekend or a day off at that time and I won't hear it cos I put my phone on silent ... ;)

A few years ago, our local Appointments Secretary answered a call on his home line at 02.15.
It was a referee confirming his non-availability for a game ten days later.
Appointments Sec: "Do you know what time it is?"
Referee: "Yeah, I'm on nights and it's my meal break"
06.44 . . . no problem 😴😁
Bet he enjoyed the long journey to his next appointment!

Between what times would you say is an appropriate time to be calling referees?

I was on a day off yesterday from work and got a phone call at 0644 to give me details about the game this weekend. I ignored it. But that didn't stop them. They tried again at 0645!

I only know it was them as they rang at a more convenient time of 1851. This time I answered. As he is telling me the details, he was not sure what he was saying and kept confusing himself with colours of opponents etc.

I mention it was my day off, as it was also my birthday. I booked the day off for a nice relaxing day but ended up being woken up before the time my alarm goes off for me to go to work, so was not happy.

You are mistaken. He just wanted to be the first to wish you a happy birthday.

Happy birthday mate🎈🎂

Entirely preventable, set up Do Not Disturb on your phone if you don't want to be disturbed by unknown numbers in unsociable hours!

My phone goes on do not disturb 11pm to 7am, anyone phoning during that time that aren't in my contacts will not be getting through.

I once had a referee call me at 3am to cry off that day's game, and to make matters worse he was clearly drunk. I was not impressed.

Entirely preventable, set up Do Not Disturb on your phone if you don't want to be disturbed by unknown numbers in unsociable hours!

Disagree. Some people like to leave their phone on loud so they can be contacted in case of an emergency. This isn't an emergency.

To answer the original post, I would say 8am-8pm is reasonable these days. 8pm-8am is unreasonable for me.

Disagree. Some people like to leave their phone on loud so they can be contacted in case of an emergency. This isn't an emergency.
On mine (most?) phones you can set Do Not Disturb to allow the ringer for calls from saved numbers and it just doesn't ring for numbers you don't have saved.

My phone goes on do not disturb 11pm to 7am, anyone phoning during that time that aren't in my contacts will not be getting through.

I once had a referee call me at 3am to cry off that day's game, and to make matters worse he was clearly drunk. I was not impressed.
Sounds like that lad should be asked first thing in the morning if he is in a good place mentally. That sounds sad.

If he was just taking the mickey, bang him to rights, but watch for stuff like that, then watch again.

Have had CFA give a coach my number when I had closed the date and was abroad 2:22AM there wasn’t amused at home ring Monday - Saturday whenever as getting calls from all over world for work anyway.

Back