A&H

Phil Dowd

The Referee Store
He went off injured at half time in West Brom - Southampton on 28th Feb and hasn't returned.

@HullRef and @HertsFinest I hope neither of you ever suffer an injury in your refereeing careers.

As for PD, I heard he was planning to retire at the end of the season along with Chris Foy.
Haha, sorry Brian I couldn't help a small dig. I do respect Phil Dowd for managing to continue at the level, especially at his age, he also got some big games this season so he has obviously impressed some people.
I heard though that the restrictions are a bit softer for him on the fitness test, because of his much needed experience in an ever younger group of elite officials :)

In all honesty when I saw him dip out at HT with an injury, I thought that it may be terminal. I've neer had anything against him, and he's a great guy. ATEOTD he's still got to the top and stayed there for a good few years, but there comes a point where you think "how bad was his injury if he's still not back - is he coming back".

So as a fellow ref, albeit at a much lower level, if he reads this - thanks for what you've done Mr D. No need to anticipate the fitness test or the weekly ribbing, so head off for a pint and enjoy the benefits of life. Cheers !

I heard though that the restrictions are a bit softer for him on the fitness test, because of his much needed experience in an ever younger group of elite officials :)

100% incorrect. There are no special considerations fitness wise. I attended a session hosted by Simon Breivik, Sport Scientist of the PGMOL group - all referees must pass regular fitness tests. Such a test includes getting 18.2 in the Yo-Yo test. Of the 40 referees that attempted it in this session, not one was able to reach that level. Although, one or two reached the womens FIFA level, which was 17.6 I believe.

Back