A&H

Phantom goal

Anubis

RefChat Addict
So after no doubts not giving maybe goals in some bygone era, today was a first, I gave a goal which was not a goal
Adults, glaring low sun, 0-0 , 5 mins before ht, striker angle six yard box, deflects off defender, loops over gk and into the net
Am central, see the ball drop into the net, goal, as straightforward as they come
I dont whistle bar debated goals, so merely go, goal, and half signal to half way
Nobody is celebrating, yet,nobody is really chasing me either. There is a weird few seconds, then few shouts from side, thats not in ref, and then couple of disguntled players, but, vitally, the striker, ' ref that went over the bar'
Its about as well manmered a dodgy goal as you could imagine
Am prob 40 yards from goal now, about to pull scorecard out, but, it simply does not feel like a goal at all.
Its now or never, so i walk back to the pen area, whistle, point to corner, with apologetic arms out, and a, " sorry guys, it looked from where i was like that went in, it clearly did not, , corner"

expecting a melee, the players simply grouped for the corner, and the dialogue between the players in the box was, no, it had not gone in,
There was indeed a hole in roof of net, ball had dropped thro it.

i got lucky my players and sideline were reserved, i then made a point at ht of going to the scorimg team and clearing up the call, not one protest, just the banter ' its ok we take a dodgy pen in the second half"

my thought tho are, I could see a different referee sticking to their guns
and also i am aware of the potential for the incident to explode

every day really is a school day

Last edited:
The Referee Store
So after no doubts not giving maybe goals in some bygone era, today was a first, I gave a goal which was not a goal
Adults, glaring low sun, 0-0 , 5 mins before ht, striker angle six yard box, deflects off defender, loops over gk and into the net
Am central, see the ball drop into the net, goal, as straightforward as they come
I dont whistle bar debated goals, so merely go, goal, and half signal to half way
Nobody is celebrating, yet,nobody is really chasing me either. There is a weird few seconds, then fee shouts from side, thats not in ref, and then couple of disguntled players, but, vitally, the striker, ' ref that went over the bar'
Am prob 40 yards from goal now, about to pull scorecard out, but, it simply does not feel like a goal at all.
Its now or never, so i walk back to the pen area, whistle, point to corner, with apologetic arms out, and a, " sorry guys, it looked from where i was like that went in, it clearly did not, , corner"

expecting a melee, the players simply grouped for the corner, and the dialogue between the players in the box was, no, it had not gone in,

i got lucky my players and sideline were reserved, i then made a point at ht of going to the scorimg team and clearing up the call, not one protest, just the banter ' its ok we take a dodgy pen in the second half"

my thought tho are, I could see a different referre sticking to their guns

did you not do a pre-game check

Nobody is celebrating, yet,nobody is really chasing me either. There is a weird few seconds, then fee shouts from side, thats not in ref, and then couple of disguntled players, but, vitally, the striker, ' ref that went over the bar'

my thought tho are, I could see a different referre sticking to their guns

I had one in a Sunday League game. The flight of the ball in the wind was weird. Nobody thought the ball dropped under the bar. It was spooky
I inspected the net for any holes (which might have appeared since my very thorough pre-match check ;)) and there were none whatsoever. Everyone, including me... we just had to conclude that the only possible explanation was 'a goal'. No protests, just bemusement all round! As you can imagine, the players inspected the net themselves whilst scratching heads

I had one in a Sunday League game. The flight of the ball in the wind was weird. Nobody thought the ball dropped under the bar. It was spooky
I inspected the net for any holes (which might have appeared since my very thorough pre-match check ;)) and there were none whatsoever. Everyone, including me... we just had to conclude that the only possible explanation was 'a goal'. No protests, just bemusement all round! As you can imagine, the players inspected the net themselves whilst scratching heads

well narrated!

am sure over time law of averages says i must have denied a goal which i was unsure was legit, but i cannot recall awarding one which was clearly not.

a ball over/not over line happens yes but a gen ball laying in the back on the net is a first.

to make things ( better), the score ended 1-0 to the team who 'scored'

rumours the goal came in the last seconds of 4 added mins are purely speculation...

I've had the ball through a hole in the side of the net.

I've learned to either have the net's holes closed or warn both coaches at the start abd put it in my game report.

Sidebar: Nets aren't required, only the frame (between the posts and under the bar), but it makes things easier.

I've had the ball through a hole in the side of the net.

I've learned to either have the net's holes closed or warn both coaches at the start abd put it in my game report.

Sidebar: Nets aren't required, only the frame (between the posts and under the bar), but it makes things easier.
In England nearly every competition has a "goal nets are essential" rule, recognising that the LOTG don't.

Something similar but with an opposite outcome, this was in the National League so the 5th tier of English football.

Although Amy wasn't helped by the defender admitting it had gone in, even though they almost certainly knew it had.

I had similar recently in an U15 game, Blues winning 5 nil already, blue striker horribly miss hits a shot which balloons up and then dips under the bar over the keepers desperate backwards dive for it. Ball settles in back of net, i signal a goal and trudge back towards centre whilst pulling my note book out and recording it.

I then hear what sounds like a game being played behind me, turning around a goal kick has been taken (presumably) and reds are playing out from the back! I wobble my brain for a second and can only assume the ball actually dropped just over the bar and rolled down the back of the net and stopped at the bottom!

no one shouting at me, no ones even noticed what I’ve Been doing so I quickly put my notebook back in my pocket and we play on.

a really weird feeling of being completely 100% wrong on what my eyes and brain had just seen!

I had similar recently in an U15 game, Blues winning 5 nil already, blue striker horribly miss hits a shot which balloons up and then dips under the bar over the keepers desperate backwards dive for it. Ball settles in back of net, i signal a goal and trudge back towards centre whilst pulling my note book out and recording it.

I then hear what sounds like a game being played behind me, turning around a goal kick has been taken (presumably) and reds are playing out from the back! I wobble my brain for a second and can only assume the ball actually dropped just over the bar and rolled down the back of the net and stopped at the bottom!

no one shouting at me, no ones even noticed what I’ve Been doing so I quickly put my notebook back in my pocket and we play on.

a really weird feeling of being completely 100% wrong on what my eyes and brain had just seen!

in addition to my original post, I got an email last night from home coach, he said at the time he too thought it was a goal, it looked like one, but, never felt like one, if that makes sense.
His colleague at the side said it was not a goal, and, in the period i gave myself to process what happened, he had already said to the away coach that they would let them walk the ball in from ko.

it was indeed all very surreal, I have replayed it tons in my head, I saw goal but it clearly was not.
am not one for rushing calls so its not like i made an instant call and regretted it, it just seemed like the most routine of goals to me.

it really was a case that on the park i was the only one to see it,

Something similar but with an opposite outcome, this was in the National League so the 5th tier of English football.

Although Amy wasn't helped by the defender admitting it had gone in, even though they almost certainly knew it had.

Did she end up giving the goal? It's not clear from the clip

i signal a goal and trudge back towards centre whilst pulling my note book out and recording it.

Always keep eyes on the goal and the players as you move back. That would have set the alarm bells off at that point I think as no one is reacting.

I've done it myself once, ball looped up over the bar, gave the goal, trotted back backwards, saw no one celebrating and getting a goal kick ready, so I just did a Sunday Afternoon Cartoon routine where I sheepishly trotted into position for a goal kick.

My dad and the more football savvy people in the crowd knew exactly what I had signalled though and took the piss out of me at half-time.

Think I've managed to pause the video at precisely the right moment as the ball disappears behind the post... and in the goal...

Back