A&H

Pet hates about your own performance

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
I'm not expecting people to open up and start destroying their own self confidence. But what happens during a game that you do, or have done that really annoys you?

For me is when the ball hits me. Now sometimes it can't be avoided, but even when it's one of those moments I still get really annoyed at myself and start thinking I should position my self completely differently!

The Referee Store
I'm not expecting people to open up and start destroying their own self confidence. But what happens during a game that you do, or have done that really annoys you?

For me is when the ball hits me. Now sometimes it can't be avoided, but even when it's one of those moments I still get really annoyed at myself and start thinking I should position my self completely differently!

Giving throws the wrong way, worse when you say "blue throw" and you KNOW you meant red.

Putting whistle to lips to blow and then not, someone will ALWAYS notice when you do that!

Staying too narrow behind a fast breaking attacker/chasing defender

That's MY self confidence done now!:cool:

@PinnerPaul when I first started I tried to be a clever dick and say the teams name for throws etc. but often found doing more than one game in a day often I'd end up blurting out the wrong teams name and look a right twit!

Also I was told never move the whistle to your lips and not blow it, someone always notices! I had it he other week I liftedy arm about an inch and opened my mouth a fraction more to put the whistle in and changed my mind and still someone shouts 'you was going to blow'! I mean how they saw I had no clue as I made literally no major move with the whistle or anything!

My fitness lol

My attention span

My ability to actually referee

All jokes aside!

I'm awful at the whole 'talking to the team' etc pre k/o

I always over think things in my head, like if I blow up for a f/k and the other team complain I then start to doubt myself? Even though I'm right! So end up sounding out to my uncle post match (he's been a ref for 25 years) just to clarify I'm right

So Id say my own self it's my main down full

Stupid brain!

@PinnerPaul when I first started I tried to be a clever dick and say the teams name for throws etc. but often found doing more than one game in a day often I'd end up blurting out the wrong teams name and look a right twit!

Also I was told never move the whistle to your lips and not blow it, someone always notices! I had it he other week I liftedy arm about an inch and opened my mouth a fraction more to put the whistle in and changed my mind and still someone shouts 'you was going to blow'! I mean how they saw I had no clue as I made literally no major move with the whistle or anything!

Know what you mean, I was AR on open age ladies about a month ago, "twitched" my flag anticipating referee looking at me to confirm a foul challenge in front of me, ref shouted "no foul, play on" so, of course, I didn't flag.

Of course, team who were "fouled" conceded from that move.

Manager & coach (who were on other side of pitch to me), berate ref at half time - 'Lino gave that' etc etc etc!

Starting to relax / lose a bit of concentration mid-way through halves - especially if the first 15 mins have gone OK / little has happened

I find that sometimes I give things that are right in law but which make absolutely no difference to the game and just cause everyone to look at me as if I'm mad. For example a few weeks ago a goal kick was taken with an attacker still in the area. The attacker was taking absolutely no interest in the ball, just trudging back into position he was on the opposite side of the area to the kick.

I blew and then had to explain to both teams what on earth I was up to. Letting it go would have been easier all round and probably would have been an advantage to the defending team. I instantly regretted blowing...but I was right in law, dammit!

Forgetting to take sufficient Ibuprofen before the game...

On the whistle to the lips but not blowing - anybody tried to cover that up by scratching your nose or similar...? Not that I've done that, of course :)

Know what you mean, I was AR on open age ladies about a month ago, "twitched" my flag anticipating referee looking at me to confirm a foul challenge in front of me, ref shouted "no foul, play on" so, of course, I didn't flag.

Of course, team who were "fouled" conceded from that move.

Manager & coach (who were on other side of pitch to me), berate ref at half time - 'Lino gave that' etc etc etc!

Area of credibility presumably not agreed with ref pre-match

Not haggling enough on the size of my bribe prematch.... :D

I do the whistle twitch on occasion and try to disguise it as something else... Why am I scratching my nose with my whistle.... :)

Whistle twitch

Ball hitting me (got an assist this weekend haha)

Arms getting confused after half time (usually can laugh this off)

Shouting 'yes please 9' then saying 'what's your name please... Thanks Steve what number you got on??'

Two games this weekend and got hit by the ball in each. So annoying! Both co ole telly sliced passes, but none the less I was really unhappy about it.

Getting direction of teams mixed up. It's not so bad on the line, I can keep muttering 'blue throw, left hand. Red team, offside'. In the middle it's harder. Once led to a red card....

I'm probably a bit too aggressive with the card, run in, flash it all agro like and stand there glaring at the player. Probably just hurts my match control really...

That, and I just seem to have lost my 'feel' for match control....

Reactions: SM
Number of times hit with the ball this season - 0

Number of times hit with the ball preseason - 5!

"Get out the way ref!"

"Learn to kick straight!"

Hit only once by ball this season
Right in the face
By minus something degrees
Ouch
Red for VC obviously

I'm quite a shy person so When I referee a match at any level, I always wish I communicated more with the players

I find that sometimes I give things that are right in law but which make absolutely no difference to the game and just cause everyone to look at me as if I'm mad. For example a few weeks ago a goal kick was taken with an attacker still in the area. The attacker was taking absolutely no interest in the ball, just trudging back into position he was on the opposite side of the area to the kick.

I blew and then had to explain to both teams what on earth I was up to. Letting it go would have been easier all round and probably would have been an advantage to the defending team. I instantly regretted blowing...but I was right in law, dammit!
if the teams dont know the laws the goal kick for example thats there problem not yours

Area of credibility presumably not agreed with ref pre-match
Yes and it was, but nothing stops ref giving decisions in that area, as in this case.

If that happens then AR can't overrule obviously. I've seen plenty of decisions given by ref close to ARs at top level btw.

I do not like it if the ball hits me. It may not always be my fault but it is annoying.

I still do tend to react when a player says I give decisions to those who shout loudest. I should know better, but often I cannot help but make a comment back, which invites more discussion, and I end up with a situation I could have avoided.

@Frank sort of similar to you, but I find I get annoyed with myself when responding to players calling for a freekick. Some days I'm fine, but other days I'll get referees tourettes and end up shouting NO or something similar every time a player claims for a freekick. I know the fact I'm not whistling should be enough, bit sometimes I just cant help it!

Back