A&H

Personal hearing for a match 3 months ago...

Ryanj91

I've just received an email saying both clubs are requesting a personal hearing after a mass confrontation that happened in January!

Let's be honest my account of the series of events are pretty patchy now. I've slept since then!

It was pretty simple...
Player lunged in - opposition manager came onto the pitch... Resulted in hand bags.

After about 1 min of faffing about, and a few reds later, we finished the remaining 90 seconds of the game.

This will be my first hearing, what will happen?

Is this the clubs way of getting out of the fine?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Did you have to put a report in? If so, go over it, make sure you're clear about exactly what happened. Nothing to worry about - stick to the facts and you'll be fine. Club is no doubt trying to wriggle out of it, but you just say what you saw and gave (based in law) and let the panel do the rest.

Your report(s) will be read out and you'll be asked if you have anything to add, the answer must be no. The clubs will then be able to ask questions of you, via the commission chair not directly, just answer them truthfully and make sure it is consistent with your report. They may well call witnesses to try and support their case, although they often contradict themselves and make things worse.

Don't worry and remember that you are not on trial, they are.

Contact your local FA or County FA Referee "coordinator" (can't remember the standard title over there). Ask them for assistance.

I asked them what is was for.
Both teams are disputing the mass confrontation.
Then one team is disputing a second caution.

I don't get why the local fa are entertaining it? 16+ players and a manager all kicking off? Their statements will be interesting...

I agree with the others, particularly given the time that's passed since the incident, you're best not to try and add anything to the report. Anything you do add will had missing details thanks to the fact it happened 3 months ago, and the teams will pick on those details to try and discredit you. Much better to stick to what you wrote at the time.

As much as its natural to be curious, dont get caught up in how, why, what etc

You have nothing to add (or take away) from what you originally submitted.

I don't get why the local fa are entertaining it? 16+ players and a manager all kicking off? Their statements will be interesting...

As others have said, you are a witness not on trial. Answer the questions from the Chairman, repeat that everything is in your report. A good Chairman will stop the players/manager asking you irrelevant questions.

If you are concerned, ask somebody to come with you - it is allowed. And get them to drive, you could be so wound up by the hearing you may not concentrate properly on driving home.

I've just received an email saying both clubs are requesting a personal hearing after a mass confrontation that happened in January!

Let's be honest my account of the series of events are pretty patchy now. I've slept since then!

It was pretty simple...
Player lunged in - opposition manager came onto the pitch... Resulted in hand bags.

After about 1 min of faffing about, and a few reds later, we finished the remaining 90 seconds of the game.

This will be my first hearing, what will happen?

Is this the clubs way of getting out of the fine?
I once got an e-mail about a game i reffed in September in May the following year.

I sent a player off and the club subsequently reported they thought i was drunk! The player was suspended etc but this surfaced 9 months later!

Participants/clubs who have received a misconduct charge have the right to a personal hearing.

My advice would be:
- Turn up
- Answer any questions asked of you honestly
- Leave
- Forget about it

I once got an e-mail about a game i reffed in September in May the following year.

I sent a player off and the club subsequently reported they thought i was drunk! The player was suspended etc but this surfaced 9 months later!
Both clubs have been issued with failing to control their players due to a mass brawl..... I still don't understand how such a thing can be contested.

It is like they have BOTH made a plan against me.

Just feel that the FA are undermining my authority by going through all of this.

Both clubs have been issued with failing to control their players due to a mass brawl..... I still don't understand how such a thing can be contested.

It is like they have BOTH made a plan against me.

Just feel that the FA are undermining my authority by going through all of this.

That's like saying people arrested and charged for brawling in the street have no right to argue their defence in court. The difference is they have highly paid solicitors to defend them, whereas at all but the most high profile football hearings the clubs and players often put their foot in it by contradicting themselves.

But of course they have a right to contend the charges.

So I just had it.
Lasted 1h 40 mins.
Both teams admitted to the conduct through their answers without realising it. Too much talking 😂😂😂

So I just had it.
Lasted 1h 40 mins.
Both teams admitted to the conduct through their answers without realising it. Too much talking 😂😂😂

Were your fears for your possible safety justified or did you feel CFA took steps to address any possible problems in that regard?

Were your fears for your possible safety justified or did you feel CFA took steps to address any possible problems in that regard?

To be fair to the CFA, whenever one of the team's representative started to get angry, they soon shot him down.

Back