A&H

Persistent infringement

joe cunningham

had my u11 cup final this morning and it had to be one of the easiest games I've done, but the amount of foul throws in it was crazy. When I got home I was reflecting on the game and things that I could of possibly done different. Although it would be incredibly harsh, could a player who repeatedly does foul throws be cautioned for persistent infringement?

Btw, I wouldn't dream of giving a yellow for this, just wanting to see if it could be justified.

The Referee Store
had my u11 cup final this morning and it had to be one of the easiest games I've done, but the amount of foul throws in it was crazy. When I got home I was reflecting on the game and things that I could of possibly done different. Although it would be incredibly harsh, could a player who repeatedly does foul throws be cautioned for persistent infringement?

Btw, I wouldn't dream of giving a yellow for this, just wanting to see if it could be justified.
u11? i probably won't even give a foul throw. the little darlings can hardly play. if you really feel mean just award it to the other team

They were terrible though, the kids leg was nearly at a 90 degree angle :eek:
I think at u11 its more educational than competitive. at that sort of age group i personally make them take it again until they get it right.

in any case persistent infringement in the law is really for persistent fouling rather than anything eelsee

I think at u11 its more educational than competitive. at that sort of age group i personally make them take it again until they get it right.

in any case persistent infringement in the law is really for persistent fouling rather than anything eelsee
I must of been being harsh to them! I gave it straight the other way. I do see your point about it being educational and not competitive though.

Persistent infringement is to protect the safety of opponents and also to ensure that their opportunity to play the game and attack is not unfairly broken up by constant fouls.
PI is only there for Law 12 offences. Not for foul throws, offside, anything else like that.

In Aus U/11 is full sized - so you definitely would award foul throws, but you'd be very leniently and take the time to demonstrate to players what they're doing wrong (and perhaps remind them to, say, keep their feet down at throws)

For U-littles, I agree that you can afford to treat games as an educational vehicle. I had a mantra, "Both feet on the ground, both hands behind the head," that I would say at least once to each player, until or unless I could see that they had it right. I felt it also gave me a better justification for eventually reversing the throw if they kept on doing it wrong.

Perfect opportunity to educate and demonstrate empathy with the players which gives you the chance to show referees are not automatons and do understand football.

Last edited:
I'm sure we've had this debate before... U11's and upwards, in England, are subject to the full laws of the game. Foul throw? Reverse it. You can do it with empathy, but you are there to referee according to the laws. After all, you wouldn't let an U11 player have a second crack at a corner kick if they sliced it straight out of play, would you...? I'm a big believer in the law of unintended consequence. Let them take it again, player receives and dashes through the defence with the ball and scores. It _may_ have happened from the first throw, you'll never know, but it certainly shouldn't have happened second time, as they shouldn't have had another attempt. Stick to the laws, apply them compassionately where required at the younger ages groups (i.e. U11 and up, as U10 and below have a different set of laws, and guidance you should be a lot less stringent), and players / coaches / parents have nothing to complain about (well, they will of course, but twisting the laws will make it worse!).

Tell you what, if you tried your "educate" and "leaniency" or just let them get on with it at Aresenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Brentford, Wimbldon or any other Academy we have down here, you'd never ref a game again.

And that would be just from the Referee mentors and coaches, before the team managers wanted their word!

U11 upwards - full size full laws.

Tell you what, if you tried your "educate" and "leaniency" or just let them get on with it at Aresenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Brentford, Wimbldon or any other Academy we have down here, you'd never ref a game again.

And that would be just from the Referee mentors and coaches, before the team managers wanted their word!

U11 upwards - full size full laws.
Yes but these are academy games that most people are referring to. They are bog standard U littlies games

Last edited:
I'm sure we've had this debate before... U11's and upwards, in England, are subject to the full laws of the game. Foul throw? Reverse it. You can do it with empathy, but you are there to referee according to the laws. After all, you wouldn't let an U11 player have a second crack at a corner kick if they sliced it straight out of play, would you...? I'm a big believer in the law of unintended consequence. Let them take it again, player receives and dashes through the defence with the ball and scores. It _may_ have happened from the first throw, you'll never know, but it certainly shouldn't have happened second time, as they shouldn't have had another attempt. Stick to the laws, apply them compassionately where required at the younger ages groups (i.e. U11 and up, as U10 and below have a different set of laws, and guidance you should be a lot less stringent), and players / coaches / parents have nothing to complain about (well, they will of course, but twisting the laws will make it worse!).

But from next season you can utilise the Spirit of the Game and retake them without feeling guilty about it ;)

Back