A&H

Persistent Infringement

I also find this......you get the shout of "foul throw ref ! "

My own reply is normally ( unless its clearly the worst throw of all time), that. "were his feet on ground, did the ball come from behind his head and was he off the park?" Yes? WELL ITS A THROW.

The Referee Store
@Ciley Myrus Interesting one re throw ins, don't want to derail the thread too much but an interesting one here: had a Chinese team come over and when they took throw ins, they would bend over, almost so that they were at a 45 degree angle, and release the ball. Obviously, the Brits were stupefied by this - surely it was a foul throw if the ball was essentially being thrown at the ground. But no, all conditions for the throw in were satisfied - facing the field of play, had part of each foot on the touchline/behind and threw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head. A curious one for sure.

Yes, I tend to also ask back "what was wrong with it?" (just cos maybe it did not look textbook does not mean it was a foul throw)
feet on ground, not on park and ball comes from behind head....a throw at public park level anyday for me

almost so that they were at a 45 degree angle, and release the ball.

Release? And not throw?

Sounds odd. On the park nearly everyone shouts for foul throw if someone leans forward and does the 'drop' throw. I'm never sure if it is for the 'dropping' motion or the lean.

Well, we invented the game here in Sheffield and our 1858 Law 10 clearly states:
.....A ball in touch is dead, consequently the side that touches it down must bring it to the edge of the touch and throw it straight out from touch....

Ask Minty to translate that if you're struggling!!

No no no, what you invented was a different take on rugby, hence references to touch, and then a throw.
Morley, from Hull, was responsible for your first laws, which included running with the ball in your arms
Scotland in 1867 amended the FA rules and thus was born a sport more like football today.

For crying out loud, it's a means of getting the ball back into play, stop sweating the small stuff! If there is no advantage to the team taking the throw, let it go........
I can't have given more than a handful in my whole career! Sheesh

Quick question going off of the original topic, this incident has stayed with me ever since it happened, I was playing in a match we were 1-0 up not long to go, the ball came to me on half way line I proceeded to flick the ball up on the volley and absolutely smashed the ball about 200yrds off the pitch!!

I was time wasting but In my eyes not commiting an offence, anyway low and behold the ref books me & not only that he makes me go and get the ball which I did taking my time.

Now I’m a ref & for me he was out of order, for me I’d just make the player aware that I’ll be adding that time on, can anyone please enlighten me to what he’s thinking was?

Unsporting behaviour was his comment but I’m not entirely sure that is valid whilst the game is active I can kick the ball where I like surely?

Unsporting behaviour was his comment but I’m not entirely sure that is valid whilst the game is active I can kick the ball where I like surely?

Shows a lack of respect for the game maybe?

I don't know, I find it funny imagining the 'ave it scenario you just painted there. :)

Now I’m a ref & for me he was out of order, for me I’d just make the player aware that I’ll be adding that time on, can anyone please enlighten me to what he’s thinking was?

I'd probably be more inclined to react the way you said, just let the player know I'm adding time on but at the same time you certainly can find a player guilty of USB while the game is still ongoing and the "shows a lack of respect for the game" provision is (perhaps deliberately) vague enough that it could encompass just about anything that a referee wants it to, so it would be difficult to say the ref has made an actual error in law.

How did he restart play? Surely the offence, he deems has been committed, happened whilst ball was in play so I am hoping he didnt restart with a throw in!
Also, not sure he has any right to make any player go and fetch a ball back. I'd simply ask for the other match ball to be used whilst someone, anyone, goes and gets the other.

Release? And not throw?

Sounds odd. On the park nearly everyone shouts for foul throw if someone leans forward and does the 'drop' throw. I'm never sure if it is for the 'dropping' motion or the lean.

Apologies, my poor wording - they threw it, but obviously at that angle it's going straight down. Within the wording of the law but unorthodox that's for sure.

How did he restart play? Surely the offence, he deems has been committed, happened whilst ball was in play so I am hoping he didnt restart with a throw in!
Also, not sure he has any right to make any player go and fetch a ball back. I'd simply ask for the other match ball to be used whilst someone, anyone, goes and gets the other.

Re Started with a throw to other team, funnily enough the other team didn’t think of chucking another ball on maybe because it was other side of pitch.

Booked me & made me get the ball, I could see a red coming if I piped up so I just went and got it.

I’d love to know the difference between what I did and every other tactic players use to waste time, for some reason what I did absolutey pissed him off he was more angry than the whole of the other team put together, personally I thought it was clever play of me but obviously not in his book :flip:

I've told the story before of the GK who came out of his area, tapped the ball out of play, realised he was out of position and then booted the ball over the fence to stop a quick throw being taken. He went into the book and accepted his caution with no complaints, but I do find it strange how that was a perfectly fair booking, but it would have been wrong if he'd just kicked it miles away first time.

I've told the story before of the GK who came out of his area, tapped the ball out of play, realised he was out of position and then booted the ball over the fence to stop a quick throw being taken. He went into the book and accepted his caution with no complaints, but I do find it strange how that was a perfectly fair booking, but it would have been wrong if he'd just kicked it miles away first time.

I challenge anyone to find me an incident or example of a player being booked for time wasting whilst the ball is actively in play?

Plenty of incidents when the ball is dead, three in one game last night Atlanta v Dortmund, kicking the ball away after a free kick has been given, taking to long with a throw in, keeper taking to long with a goal kick etc but never whilst the ball is actively in play.

Personally I think the ref was wrong to book me but hey I’m only four games into my refereeing career, I’m sure other more experienced heads would have a different opinion.

I challenge anyone to find me an incident or example of a player being booked for time wasting whilst the ball is actively in play?

Plenty of incidents when the ball is dead, three in one game last night Atlanta v Dortmund, kicking the ball away after a free kick has been given, taking to long with a throw in, keeper taking to long with a goal kick etc but never whilst the ball is actively in play.

Personally I think the ref was wrong to book me but hey I’m only four games into my refereeing career, I’m sure other more experienced heads would have a different opinion.
Sorry, in case it was unclear, I absolutely agree that the ref would have been wrong to book you in that context. I just find it a little strange that the laws do make that distinction..

Personally I think the ref was wrong to book me
As has already been pointed out, it didn't have to be for 'time wasting' (unless of course, the referee said it was) - it could have been for showing a lack of respect for the game. It's not something I would probably do but the law is worded vaguely enough that a referee could use that provision if they really wanted to.

Last edited:
I dont think the day will ever come where I would approach a player in the Sunday League after he kicked a ball whilst its in open play and say to him
"Am booking you for showing a lack of respect for the game"

I can hear their laughter already

"time wasting" is player talk :). In terms of refereeing there are 6 reasons a player can be cautioned (used to be 7) and the closest that comes to time wasting is "delaying the restart".
The reason you were booked would have been unsporting behaviour. The lotg gives a list of reasons a player can be cautioned for unsporting behaviour but the reasons is not limited to that list and the referee can add to it as he sees fit.

Back