A&H

Penalty shoot out

Frank

Level 5 Referee
Should the referee toss the coin to decide which end a penalty shoot out will take place, or should he inform both captains which end they will be taken from?

A&H International
Lotg says the second though the first makes more sense in competitive terms, given that there may be a perceived advantage one way or the other

Long list of things to think about when choosing which end to have the penalties at - including:
  • state of the penalty mark
  • where the sun is
  • likelihood of getting the ball back if a player balloons it over the bar!
Anyone else got any others !?

I asked because I was sure it was the second, and I wondered why the penalty shoot out at Anfield took place at the Kop end.

I asked because I was sure it was the second, and I wondered why the penalty shoot out at Anfield took place at the Kop end.
Been told, by a referee that has had to listen to such instructions, that in big-crowd professional matches the police are often the ones that decide what end they are taken at.

*cough* kicks from the penalty mark *cough* and yes, it's the ref's choice which side you take the kicks from. The coin toss allows the winning captain to choose whether or not to kick first.

Reactions: SM
Back