A&H

Penalty shoot out goalkeepers

Stuart McKenzie

referee on tour in the summer
So I had a u11 manager ask if before the full time whistle of extra time he put on his second keeper. Could he during the penalty shoot out rota his keepers?

The Referee Store
So I had a u11 manager ask if before the full time whistle of extra time he put on his second keeper. Could he during the penalty shoot out rota his keepers?
He should/can put on his second keeper in as a field player. Once the shout-out starts, they can rotate between the two of them.

Otherwise if just substitutes his designated keeper with another designated keeper before end of extra time, he can't do what he wants.

There's another side to this. If the coach just wanted to give their two different GKs a few pens each so they could have the experience, that's great.

However, rotate is an odd term... was the coaching trying to bend the laws and was he/she intending to rotate GKs at every kick in an attempt to gain an advantage in an unsporting way? If there was any hint of that, I'd be finding all kinds of reasons why the coach should not!

Doing something that is specifically and explicitly allowed in the LOTG can't be considered unsporting even if done to gain an advantage, no matter how uncommon it is.

For example, feinting in the run-up of a penalty kick or backheeling (given the ball moves forward) are permitted in a penalty kick even if done to gain an advantage.

If I have two keepers equally as good and I know swapping them will put the opposition 'off their game plan', I would swap them every kick.

Interestingly I have heard of goalkeeper change with a field player for a retake as a tactical move. Also I once had a very nervous kicker kick the ball straight at a keeper who clearly came off the line early. For the retake the kicker asked me if someone else can take it, the opponents weren't too happy when I said yes. All within the lotg.

However, rotate is an odd term... was the coaching trying to bend the laws and was he/she intending to rotate GKs at every kick in an attempt to gain an advantage in an unsporting way?
If a coach wants to rotate goalkeepers (who are both eligible to take part) during KFTPM they are not bending the Laws, they are staying completely within them and there's nothing unsporting about it that I can think of.

Reactions: one
Trivia LOTG question. What is the maximum number of different goalkeepers possible in KFTPM?

Depends how many kicks are taken and how many substitutes are allowed by the rules of competition.
Official FIFA competition under FIFA LOTG. I would have thought that is an assumption for all LOTG quizzes. The clue is "maximum possible".

Doing something that is specifically and explicitly allowed in the LOTG can't be considered unsporting even if done to gain an advantage, no matter how uncommon it.
Where does it say that in the laws?

Here we are talking U11 and perhaps a tournament. Might it not be a bit of a waste of time to change GKs every kick? Isn’t that exactly the kind of thing that is a waste of time, insulting to fans and opponents, anf against the spirit of...

Here we are talking U11 and perhaps a tournament. Might it not be a bit of a waste of time to change GKs every kick? Isn’t that exactly the kind of thing that is a waste of time, insulting to fans and opponents, anf against the spirit of...
Are you asking where does it say this?
1534744201445.png

Or are you saying if the law says you can do something, it also has to say if you do it its not unsporting behaviour? Common logic, if the law says you are allowed something then... well you are entitled to it and can do it without punishment.

Wasting time is a different matter. It happens all the time when a team is leading or in some occasions when both teams need a draw. Yet you can't punish it when the ball is in play. If ball is out of play then its delaying the restart. If you think OP is delaying the restart then caution for delaying the restart not for unsporting behaviour. However you need to think about selling it. And what would the report say when both keepers are sent off for double caution for something the law says they are allowed to do?

Let me ask you this. If unlimited interchange (returning substitute) is allowed in my league, a team wants a substitute in every stoppage, should I caution them for delaying the restart (or USB)?

There are many ways to gain tactical or other types of advantage within the lotg. If its an uncommon one or some haven't thought of it before it doesn't mean its outside of what football expects or spirit of the game, and its not unsporting. Here is a good example. Well within the football laws, spirit of the game doesn't come into it (futsal doesn't allow this)

It's not like they're disrupting the flow of play or running down the clock here ;-)

There's another side to this. If the coach just wanted to give their two different GKs a few pens each so they could have the experience, that's great.

However, rotate is an odd term... was the coaching trying to bend the laws and was he/she intending to rotate GKs at every kick in an attempt to gain an advantage in an unsporting way? If there was any hint of that, I'd be finding all kinds of reasons why the coach should not!

No it was just a general laws of the game question. Which I said there was nothing in the laws of the game preventing this allowing both his keepers to save some pens

Back