A&H

Penalty retake

A game yesterday with first playing second and a cracking 0-0. Fifteen minutes left and a penalty to the away team. No queries and definitely penalty. The player places the ball, I tell him wait for the whistle and as I walk away to get in position he runs up and the keeper saves it. I had not blown the whistle so order a retake. He scores with the retake. Part of me was tempted to let it go as he did not wait, but I did not signal for the kick to be taken. Obvious 'queries' from the home team. I explained that I had not signalled and if he scored with it I would also have ordered a retake. Two cautions and I also cautioned the kicker. However last fifteen minutes was extremely high intensity. Any views???

The Referee Store
I'd say correct decision re re-take

why did you caution the penalty taker?

whilst we're on the subject, i did a 'penalty watch' on motd and football league show the other day and encroaching into the penalty area before the kick is taken seems to be a forgotten law where senior referees are concerned. clearly, retakes don't make for good telly.

I cautioned the penalty taker for unsporting behaviour. I asked him to wait for the whistle and he ignored and tried to catch the keeper out really.

As for encroaching? If both teams do it I let it go.

devil's advocate.....would you automatically caution a player who took a free kick outside the penalty area if you'd told the kicker that restart was on the whistle but he then took the kick before you'd blown for the restart

as for encroaching, both teams doing it should be a retake

Yes I would definitely caution a player if he didn't wait for the whistle, irrespective of where it was on the pitch. As for the encroaching point it would be interesting to hear other views. I have seen numerous occasions where this has happened including the Premiership as you mentioned.

devil's advocate.....would you automatically caution a player who took a free kick outside the penalty area if you'd told the kicker that restart was on the whistle
I never tell the kicker that the restart is on the whistle - he has to ask first. Otherwise they have every right to take the kick whenever they want to. If they ask for the wall to be paced out, then I clearly signal it's 'on the whistle' and the procedure is then under my control.

The only exceptions are if there is an injured player on the ground or if I am issuing a card.

Totally agree with a quick free kick. However if you told him it was on the whistle and he took it before that would you caution. Also would you allow him also to take a penalty without a whistle. Which is what happened originally.

Not sure what I would caution him for TBH, unless he did it again. We have a USB code for 'Unsporting Remarks or Gestures' but not sure it falls under that either.

I think I would probably order a retake in both cases, if he did it again in the match then maybe caution as it could be a 'Persistant' but we don't have a generic 'USB' code - unless I used Y17 : Unsporting Remarks or Gestures. Or Y27: 'Caution for offence not previously mentioned'.

'devil's advocate.....would you automatically caution a player who took a free kick outside the penalty area if you'd told the kicker that restart was on the whistle'

'If they ask for the wall to be paced out, then I clearly signal it's 'on the whistle'

and the difference is ?

Difference being that the player has asked me to take control - I never tell the kicker it's on the whistle unless they ask.

Otherwise they are free to take the kick from the moment it is given.

Big difference.

This is a question
'devil's advocate.....would you automatically caution a player who took a free kick outside the penalty area if you'd told the kicker that restart was on the whistle'

This is my answer - which you have carefully edited from the full answer
'If they ask for the wall to be paced out, then I clearly signal it's 'on the whistle'

and the difference is ?
pretty obvious I would have thought - one is a question, the other is part of an answer to the question.

don't suppose you've seen Cool Hand Luke, have you Matty?

'what we have here is a failure to communicate'

when you 'clearly signal it's on the whistle', i'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you don't just stand there holding your whistle in the air but that you add, to anybody within earshot, something along the lines of 'it's on the whistle lads, people, ladies, whatever'

that would include the 'kicker'

Consequently, you've told him / her that the restart is on the whistle

Well, it's a good thing I suffer from hair loss. I am running out of hairs to be split.

I'll leave it now ... there are others suitably experienced who are waiting to patronise me elsewhere

Sorry, Matty, I used to live in Auckland and it was second nature to patronise people from Tauranga :)

There are times where I tell a player that they are going to wait for my whistle whether they like it or not. Such times include, but are not limited to: when a team is requesting a substitution, when I am going to issue a caution or send a player off, when I need to speak to a player, when there is an injured player who requires medical attention, when I need to slow the play down for match control purposes.

Back