A&H

Junior/Youth penalty or play on?

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
Keeper catches a cross and after hitting the ground rolls over to plant two feet in the standing attackers chest. Attacker goes down and is subsequently subbed as a result. At half time i ask if he's ok and he shows me the stud marks on his ribs.

I blew and gave a penalty. Uproar from the manager "he got the ball ref. No way is that a foul".

Luckily that teams assistant is a highly qualified assistant ref and explains to his manager my reasoning. He says to me most refs wouldn't give it as is would be deemed as accidental contact.

Would you give a penalty in this situation or is the contact avoidable?

A&H International
Was it accidental or careless? If it's careless, for example if they could have done something to avoid the contact, then it's a foul and a penalty

Very difficult to gauge an opinion without a lot more information. Where was the attacker that he kicked, was he standing up or on the floor? Was the keeper's actions part of a natural save or did he carelessly extend his feet to make contact with the opponent? If yes did you consider SFP?

Keeper catches a cross and after hitting the ground rolls over to plant two feet in the standing attackers chest. Attacker goes down and is subsequently subbed as a result. At half time i ask if he's ok and he shows me the stud marks on his ribs.

I blew and gave a penalty. Uproar from the manager "he got the ball ref. No way is that a foul".

Luckily that teams assistant is a highly qualified assistant ref and explains to his manager my reasoning. He says to me most refs wouldn't give it as is would be deemed as accidental contact.

Would you give a penalty in this situation or is the contact avoidable?

I'm guessing this is a time-jump in the explanation?

I.e - you gave the penalty, but you checked on the attacker at half time, after the penalty was awarded and taken?

Very difficult to gauge an opinion without a lot more information. Where was the attacker that he kicked, was he standing up or on the floor? Was the keeper's actions part of a natural save or did he carelessly extend his feet to make contact with the opponent? If yes did you consider SFP?
as stated the attacker was standing up.

In the seconds it happened i couldn't work out how or why the keepers legs ended up from being on the floor to being fully extended.

I didn't think sfp or vc at the time but my thoughts changed at half time when i saw the marks left on the attacker.

This all happened in 2 to 3 seconds.

So I read this as catch-fall-roll-extend legs.
If not intentional, GK should have checked his surroundings before extending legs.
Anywhere else on the pitch if a player rolls, kicks out and catches an opponent there is no argument over it being a foul.
If sending off the keeper, VC seems more justifiable than SFP as keeper has ball in hands and is aware of it, so the leg extend is not part of a challenge.

My main thought here is. Did the keeper extend his legs deliberately to be a pleb.

You know like when they jump up for the ball and aggressively whip their knee up at the same time in a way that they could easily smash someone's jaw.

My main thought here is. Did the keeper extend his legs deliberately to be a pleb.

You know like when they jump up for the ball and aggressively whip their knee up at the same time in a way that they could easily smash someone's jaw.
This happened so quickly i made a gut decision.

The attacker going down "in agony" and screaming possibly affected my thoughts.

That said he played no further part so the contact must have been considerable but still doesn't answer the fine line betwen careless and accidental.

Well, accidents occur when people don’t take enough care. This is really one you have to see. I think GKs get a bit of latitude when flinging themselves about. Nonetheless, as I picture it from the description, a PK sounds right to me—but impossible to be sure without seeing it.

impossible to be sure without seeing it.
I beg to differ. Impossible to be sure even after seeing it ☺️, which also drives your point.

Refereeing is not black and white (pun intended). With some incidents, you get an evenly split decision after getting a zone referees seeing it. And the OP sounds like one of them. The key with those is making a confident relatively quick decision and selling it really well.

Back