A&H

Penalty or no?

I can only assume because in his head, he justified why he was right.

I really do want to know what his thought process is though. This one is just stonewall for me, that I'm really struggling to understand why he hasn't give it.

The Referee Store
Right or wrong, the common practice in the PA for many referees when a careless foul happens after a shot (or a touch) has been taken freely and stuffed up is to ignore the foul. I must admit, in full speed I thought this was normal sporting contact. Only after slow-mo I realised it was a foul.

Don't take VARs for saints either. Here in Aus VARs have ruined referee's games many times over by intervening when it hasn't been a clear and obvious error. It's a foul but not an obvious one. Once it is reviewed by the referee its a no win situation. If you don't give it, you are backing your own wrong decision. If you give it you are reversing a decision that could have gone either way.

It is probably one of those times where the ref has a brain freeze and convinces himself he has made the right decision. So if he is convinced then VAR is not going to change his mind.

or, again, without knowledge of the ref or the other guys, could it strike true with my thinking on the Taylor Fulham pen.....am the top man and you two know nothing?

Right or wrong, the common practice in the PA for many referees when a careless foul happens after a shot (or a touch) has been taken freely and stuffed up is to ignore the foul. I must admit, in full speed I thought this was normal sporting contact. Only after slow-mo I realised it was a foul.
My initial instinct is that the ref might have thought the GK got the ball, but that is a factual issue, is clearly not the case on VAR so can't justify him sticking with the initial decision.

I think you're right to bring in the "careless foul after the contact" logic and a way to kind of understand what the referee might have been thinking. If you swap the hooking of the ball away for a flick towards goal and reduce the contact a few degrees, then it's not far off a decision we might make. But there's no denying that not giving the PK here is a real howler.

Not worth a whole new thread but here's one from Burton last night: https://www.mancity.com/citytv/match-highlights/2019/january/burton-v-man-city-extended-highlightsv2 (at 6.00 on the video)

A City fan later came up with "VAR - what is it good for? Absolutely nothing..." though (from the end of the terrace to the right) my son and I both thought "no chance" (a grass-cutting no chance) when it happened. Mind you, by then our eyeballs had frozen...
I’d be happy with that in one of my games, player has cut across him. No foul for me

Yep.

I believe that's why the Dutch referee's boss has commented on it publicly, saying that it should have been a penalty.

Interesting, on the twitter thread there were a few references to 'intent' and one 'it was a collision as a result of challenging for the ball, so it's fine', which I completely disagree with on both counts.

Apart from the comedy value, never worth reading fans' opinions of referee decisions!:p

Not worth a whole new thread but here's one from Burton last night: https://www.mancity.com/citytv/match-highlights/2019/january/burton-v-man-city-extended-highlightsv2 (at 6.00 on the video)

A City fan later came up with "VAR - what is it good for? Absolutely nothing..." though (from the end of the terrace to the right) my son and I both thought "no chance" (a grass-cutting no chance) when it happened. Mind you, by then our eyeballs had frozen...

Not a PL ground, so no VAR there was there?

Not a PL ground, so no VAR there was there?

For whatever reason, there was - could perhaps have been because of the late stage of the competition. Commentators said VAR was in a van outside the stadium rather than the usual Stockley Park, though

For whatever reason, there was - could perhaps have been because of the late stage of the competition. Commentators said VAR was in a van outside the stadium rather than the usual Stockley Park, though

You and they are right Alex - how odd

Back