A&H

Penalty or no?

The Referee Store
Surprised it took that long to go to review? Ajax could have easily scored at the other end, thought they stopped the game in a neutral area.

Surprised it took that long to go to review? Ajax could have easily scored at the other end, thought they stopped the game in a neutral area.

Can not stop play for VAR review in case it's wrong and nothing is given like this. You really going to restart with a dropped ball ever time as that is the only method you could restart the game.

For me, though, it's a penalty.
Could argue attacker foot high but wasn't endangering any one. The keeper then, arriving late, collides with the attacker. Penalty.

I think im in the minority whos not quite sure on this, think the attacker has lost control of the ball.

Separate issue but if a referee has to look at an incident more than three times on a tv screen how can he give a penalty ?

Surely there is enough doubt if you need 4-5-6 replays.

I'm at a PK. Attacker got there first, played the ball away from GK who came in late. This is a foul charge in my opinion.

Pen for me

Of course no way do I subscribe to a smaller team in a bigger teams stadium mentality, but, at 3-3 and at the other end, I will take a guess that a referee would be more inclined to give it, than not. Human nature element.

I think im in the minority whos not quite sure on this, think the attacker has lost control of the ball.

Separate issue but if a referee has to look at an incident more than three times on a tv screen how can he give a penalty ?

Surely there is enough doubt if you need 4-5-6 replays.
You don’t have to be in control of the ball to be fouled

I don't speak Dutch, but here's what VAR and ref discussed.

I think it's one of those ones where it's a clear penalty in parks football, but at this level, you can conclude that the attackers moves the ball away to a place where he can't regain possession to invite contact and a penalty decision.

I don't speak Dutch, but here's what VAR and ref discussed.
I think it's one of those ones where it's a clear penalty in parks football, but at this level, you can conclude that the attackers moves the ball away to a place where he can't regain possession to invite contact and a penalty decision.
I strongly disagree. The attacker has got in quick, has precious little idea where the ball is going to go, but it doesn't matter, the keeper is late and fouls him.

Easy pen at any level.

But utterly dismal VAR protocol, what is the ref doing watching a screen, it's embarrassing for everyone. This is damning. He can't make a sensible decision by watching a screen in the middle of a game. I don't blame him. Let's hope they scotch this nonsense in time for 2019-20.

If thats a late tackle on the half way line even the players would stop for the free kick
Would love to know the reasoning behind not giving the pk.

Wait, he never gave the pen??!!

The striker has been wiped out, the ball is in play, it can only be a pk!!

Yep.

I believe that's why the Dutch referee's boss has commented on it publicly, saying that it should have been a penalty.

Interesting, on the twitter thread there were a few references to 'intent' and one 'it was a collision as a result of challenging for the ball, so it's fine', which I completely disagree with on both counts.

Yep.

I believe that's why the Dutch referee's boss has commented on it publicly, saying that it should have been a penalty.

Interesting, on the twitter thread there were a few references to 'intent' and one 'it was a collision as a result of challenging for the ball, so it's fine', which I completely disagree with on both counts.

The boss then has some, bossing to do, if his top man plus whoever was looking in the studio between them cannot come to the correct decision here, of course everybody see's things differently, but, my tuppence worth, that's not a difficult call!!!!!

Wait, he never gave the pen??!!

The striker has been wiped out, the ball is in play, it can only be a pk!!
From what I've read, there has been worries about 'arrogant' referees ignoring the advice of VAR off the back of this. I am not attributing arrogance to this official, I don't know anything about him, but I can certainly see why an incident like this could spark that debate, a clear penalty denied, going against the advice of the VARs (who thought it was a penalty), I can only assume because in his head, he justified why he was right. VAR needs referees to be humble and realise they need to go against their decisions if it is the right thing to do.

It is probably one of those times where the ref has a brain freeze and convinces himself he has made the right decision. So if he is convinced then VAR is not going to change his mind.

Back