A&H

Penalty kicks - mistake

The Referee Store
I feel VERY sorry for this referee and like you say goodbye career but surely the assistant who will have been acting as line judge should shoulder the blame. Can you imagine how gutted they must have been afterwards!!!

There was a NAR, it must have been his call that the ball didn't go in??

Surely the result should stand. The referee is not allowed to take note of what may or may not be available via video. The referee and his AR deemed the ball to have rebounded off the post, and not to have entered the goal. So it is not an error in law: the officials did not see the ball cross the line so did not award the [penalty] goal. You only give what you are confident you have seen. One of those things. Not nice, but tough luck.

I don't think we necessarily have to say goodbye to his career, though this is certainly a set back. Whereas he is at a developmental stage, this will shine a spotlight on him and he will be under close watch, but he will not likely be removed from the track to continue his development unless there are persistent errors and a complete failure to correct them.

Having watched the whole game I have to say I think that UEFA will have a VERY close eye on him.

Not the first referee and assistant to fail to spot the ball cross the line and doubt they will be the last, although with GLT the chances of it happening at the highest level are now nigh on impossible.

Not wrong in law, IMO. Failing to spot a ball crossing the line is a judgement call. Disallowing the goal because it crossed the line but didn't touch the net would be wrong in law.
Can understand the referee missing it, not the AR. He has one job to do.
Maybe he wasn't as attentive as he should be given it's rare for the AR to have to do anything here.
Incidentally, I don't know why the referee doesn't also stand on the goal line. Standing level with the Penalty Mark is completely pointless. I know he stood in the 'correct' position, but I don't see why that one is correct.
Atrocious goal design though. I know it can be hard spotting it when it hits the top support bar in general play - and in Futsal sometimes it's almost impossible to see if it entered the goal or not as the ball can bounce back out so fast!

Not the first referee and assistant to fail to spot the ball cross the line and doubt they will be the last.
Very true - and on no previous occasion that I am aware of, has the result been altered or the game replayed. I have every sympathy for these young Valencia players but this is a referee's judgement call, not an error in law.

Law 5 is quite clear on this:
The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.

Last edited:
Back