A&H

Penalty Kick Encroachment

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Interesting one in my U13 game at the weekend.

Penalty awarded to reds which is saved by the keeper and immediately bounces out to another red attacker who puts the ball in. All fine, apart from the fact that the attacker was about 3 yards into the box when it was taken, so I blew to disallow the goal and awarded an IFK to the defending side.

Happy with the decision, but what shocked me is that it was universally accepted. No complaints from the attacking side and the player who scored even knew what the restart was going to be. Even had one of the parents tell me what a good decision it was at the end of the match.

Not controversial at all, but wanted to share because it makes such a nice change to have a decision accepted and players that know the LotG.

The Referee Store
I know it's in there somewhere but I just read Law 14 like 10 times. I don't see where it defines encroachment on a PK. Any help where it lays this out?

It tells you where players have to be--outside the PA. Isolating that is a breach of the PK procedure, which we refer to as encroaching.

It tells you where players have to be--outside the PA. Isolating that is a breach of the PK procedure, which we refer to as encroaching.
Law 14 tells you were everyone has to be before the whistle. Then it tells you the offense for encroachment but it skips the part of defining what encroachment is. The original poster stated that he was happy that all the players knew the Law and didn't complain. I was going to respond and say that when I'm officiating, when I'm scanning to make sure all the players are outside the restricted area, I'm also talking to the players and letting them know they can't advance into the area until after the ball is kicked. Not my whistle or the player's movement but when the ball is kicked. BUT before I wrote that I wanted to make sure I was correct so I went to law 14 and it doesn't explain that.

Law 14 tells you were everyone has to be before the whistle. Then it tells you the offense for encroachment but it skips the part of defining what encroachment is. The original poster stated that he was happy that all the players knew the Law and didn't complain. I was going to respond and say that when I'm officiating, when I'm scanning to make sure all the players are outside the restricted area, I'm also talking to the players and letting them know they can't advance into the area until after the ball is kicked. Not my whistle or the player's movement but when the ball is kicked. BUT before I wrote that I wanted to make sure I was correct so I went to law 14 and it doesn't explain that.
With all respect, it doesn't need to.

Encroaching is anything that isn't defined as 'outside' the area, once the ball has been kicked.

Screenshot_2024-01-16-07-29-30-409_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

So...
  • less than 10yds
  • in front of the penalty mark
  • inside the penalty area.
I've excluded the fop one as probably not an issue of encroaching.

Back