A&H

Penalty Kick (added on time)

I am not saying we should but maybe a consideration of the score comes into affect . team 3-0 ahead don't play corner for the losing/attacking team. one goal difference would you allow it to be taken? I have given last second FKs and PKs so why not a corner? Discuss. And yes they normally score.
This favours attacking teams over defending teams. Is there a reason for that?

The Referee Store
The last second corner situation is a classic ”what football expects.” If the ref allows a corner to be taken at the death then everyone expects the whistle to wait until the ”next phase” is over i.e. Clearance, shot, ball is passed back out to corner taker etc.

If a ref allows a goal kick to be taken at the death football still expects the whistle to go while the ball is in the air, because a few years ago it was how so many matches ended.

I’m fine with this. Added time is not an exact science. We have to try and be fair and use our common sense. And the reality is there are many years and millions of precedence here;)

With free kicks, if they take it quick with a few seconds left, then go for it. If they take their time then most likely time is up. Also if I have to make it ceremonial, then it's the time that I am taking (not the team), so I'll be adding whatever time it takes me to set up the free kick to added time.

This would be far easier if football adopted a Rugby style approach. Once the time is up play continues until the ball is next out of play, barring any fouls.

Rather than award the corner, I wouldn't expect any grief for blowing up. You've given them a penalty and then exploded, what more do they want!?

You say that

I was watching my other half play a couple of seasons ago. It was about the 95th minute, ball went out for a corner and was taken pinged around for a little while went out again and then the ref blew for full-time.

The away team went absolute mental about it. But, they are/were just one of "those" teams, but the coach was adamant that the referee has to allow the game to continue because they had a corner.

You say that

I was watching my other half play a couple of seasons ago. It was about the 95th minute, ball went out for a corner and was taken pinged around for a little while went out again and then the ref blew for full-time.

The away team went absolute mental about it. But, they are/were just one of "those" teams, but the coach was adamant that the referee has to allow the game to continue because they had a corner.
Well....I sort of can't blame them. The refereeing fraternity has created a very clear expectation there, and that nonsense started with FIFA

You say that

So lets say they did and the ball goes out for another corner, and another one ....................

Well....I sort of can't blame them. The refereeing fraternity has created a very clear expectation there, and that nonsense started with FIFA

It's one thing allowing the kick to be taken if time is up just as they've placed the ball, or they literally just taken the kick.

It's another thing completely to expect to be allowed to go over the time to be added on so that you can keep taking corners until you score.

I have never had anyone complain before when I've blown for full time when the ball went out for a corner.

The team in question were a bunch of melts.

The coach proceeded to harangue the referee well after the final whistle, players burst into the referees changing room accusing him of blowing for full time early.

Problems with spectators etc etc, just a generally unpleasant team

Back