A&H

Penalty Kick (added on time)

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Apologies if covered before.

90 mins are up and you add say 3 mins added time, player goes into the penalty area 2m 59 secs for example nailed on penalty.

What exactly happens, can you say to all players this is the last kick of the game, what if keeper saves and player is about to knock home the rebound.

The Referee Store
Your answer can be found in Law 14:

“Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken and completed at the end of each half of the match or extra time. When additional time is allowed, the penalty kick is completed when, after the kick has been taken, the ball stops moving, goes out of play, is played by any player (including the kicker) other than the defending goalkeeper, or the referee stops play for an offence by the kicker or the kicker's team. If a defending team player (including the goalkeeper) commits an offence and the penalty is missed/saved, the penalty is retaken.”

So yes, I'd suggest you do want to tell the players it's the last kick of the game and there's no followup - easier to tell then rather than after they've scored a goal on the followup that you've disallowed.

Though defenders may still want to run in - on the rare occasion the defender has managed to clear it off the goal line after the keeper has done a partial save.

The moment any player other than the keeper touches it after the kick, it's over.

The PK gets simpler when you tell players that it won't be in play after the kick. And you don't want to be in the position of not having told them and having a rebound score and then telling them it doesn't count. (Note: players still need to remain on the field, as the game has not ended.)

What do you give if the ball goes out for a corner at 2.59? Do you allow it?

Answer is likely yes so use some common sense, and blow when the ball is dead or is cleared.

The unique clause for penalties was probably added due to too many 'time is time' Clive Thomas wannabes.

Answer is likely yes so use some common sense, and blow when the ball is dead or is cleared.

The unique clause for penalties was probably added due to too many 'time is time' Clive Thomas wannabes.
I had that exact scenario, except i was slightly over my intended 'added time'
I had a doubt in my mind about the penalty award. HB, one of those, I reckon it was the right call (I'm rarely wrong!), but took some chirp from the defence. Keeper tips it over the bar. Happy days. Full Time, see ya later ;)

Last edited:

Given the kick will be taken past the 'correct time', what do you do if the ball goes out for another corner off the first corner kick? and the next one too? When do you stop?

For me if there is enough time to take the corner kick (the kick itself) within time , say around 20 seconds left, I'd allow that entire attacking phase with a quiet "gotta be quick" to the taker . Otherwise game is up on time.

For me if there is enough time to take the corner kick (the kick itself) within time , say around 20 seconds left, I'd allow that entire attacking phase with a quiet "gotta be quick" to the taker . Otherwise game is up on time.
This. If the time allowed is exactly 3 minutes and the ball has only just gone out on 2m 59s then there's no way the corner is going to be taken until you're at least 10-15 seconds beyond that, if not more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with blowing for time while the ball is out of play, even though some referees seem to avoid doing that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with blowing for time while the ball is out of play, even though some referees seem to avoid doing that.

Indeed.

I got advised on this in my last assessment; Was told that in order to avoid any issues occurring, either blow for full time once the ball goes out and don't give the corner, or if you give it, allow it to be taken. Makes sense.

Rather than award the corner, I wouldn't expect any grief for blowing up. You've given them a penalty and then exploded, what more do they want!?

Allow it to be taken and find a push by the attacking team !!!!
Assuming you mean this for if you have 3min added time and the ball goes out in a corner at 2.59. What if there is an actual push by the defending team? How can you sell a push the other way? And if you give a penalty, you have given it for a corner that was taken after the game was clearly up.

So yes, I'd suggest you do want to tell the players it's the last kick of the game and there's no followup - easier to tell then rather than after they've scored a goal on the followup that you've disallowed.

Though defenders may still want to run in - on the rare occasion the defender has managed to clear it off the goal line after the keeper has done a partial save.

The moment any player other than the keeper touches it after the kick, it's over.
I would tell them its the last kick but stop at that. Don not tell them there is no follow up and/or prevent them from doing so. Avoid the possible (and rare) hassle.

If you tell them there is no follow up, defenders go away based on you advice, and a penalty like post 13# happens, you have denied the defenders a chance on saving a goal (as you pointed). A report on it could easily lead to a major misapplication of the laws and a retake/replay at a later time.

Just telling the attackers there is no follow up but defenders can follow up also has it's problems. It more of coaching the defenders rather than game management.

Given the kick will be taken past the 'correct time', what do you do if the ball goes out for another corner off the first corner kick? and the next one too? When do you stop?

More than likely blow up after the first corner.

Eg Minimum of 3 minutes so you’ve got discretion to play at 3 minutes 59. Rarely play bang on the 3 minutes in a competitor game.

Eg Minimum of 3 minutes so you’ve got discretion to play at 3 minutes 59. Rarely play bang on the 3 minutes in a competitor game.
The assumption is 3 minutes by your calculation at the time the ball goes out. Using referee's discretion to add extra seconds at that moment just to take the corner kick is unfair (misuse of referee's discretion).

There is this misconception out there that not allowing the corner kick to be taken after time is up is unfair to the attacking team. This concept is not considering that allowing it to be taken is unfair to the defending team.

More than likely blow up after the first corner.

Eg Minimum of 3 minutes so you’ve got discretion to play at 3 minutes 59. Rarely play bang on the 3 minutes in a competitor
True, but the 'corner in stoppage time' situation under discussion was not one where a board has gone up indicating a minimum amount, it was that the referee has decided that the time allowed for stoppages was exactly 3 minutes and the ball has gone out of play on 2m 59s.

I am not saying we should but maybe a consideration of the score comes into affect . team 3-0 ahead don't play corner for the losing/attacking team. one goal difference would you allow it to be taken? I have given last second FKs and PKs so why not a corner? Discuss. And yes they normally score.

Back