A&H

Penalty Goal

arbitre

I think that the penalty in the Croatia - Denmark game perfectly illustrates the time for a new law - the penalty goal!

The Croatian player was about to score, it was basically going to be a pass into the goal, there were no Danish players in front of him. The Danish defender brought him down to stop the goal being scored (irrespective of the new law, yellow or red).

If not a penalty goal, the penalty should have re-created the scenario at the time of the foul, i.e. no goalkeeper allowed for this penalty!

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Video

Last edited:
Reactions: one
The Referee Store
i'm not sure how i feel about this. a good friend of mine (non ref) has wanted this since the suarez handball v ghana in 2010 but i've been opposed, needless to say the debate sparked up again last night

i suppose my main argument is how certain can you be that a goal will be scored and how do you define when you move from a penalty to a penalty goal?

I have been like you on this, however last night changed my mind.

In this instance the Croatian would certainly have scored but for the foul from the defender.

Maybe the change in the law relating to cautions now for a genuine attempt for the ball in the box has changed my view as well. The defender only got a yellow for deliberately stopping a goal.

Unlike the Suarez handball, when he was sent off, but you are right there are things to discuss. Hence why I started this thread.

I actually posted something similar in the game's thread. I am all for it as long as there is proper guidelines and only a goal is certain 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

Laws of the game are all about fairness and restoring balance. The DOGSO law was changed to make it more fair. Red or yellow would be irrelevant in a knock out game when there is only a couple of minutes left in the games.

Even if it not a knock out, when 99.9% chance of goal is denied, there is no way its fair to replace it with another opportunity that only has a 80% chance of scoring (rough conversion rate for a penalty). Its the 20% chance of not scoring and its consequences that bothers me.

Rugby Union and Rugby League have penalty tries that work well in the main.

i'm not sure how i feel about this. a good friend of mine (non ref) has wanted this since the suarez handball v ghana in 2010 but i've been opposed, needless to say the debate sparked up again last night

i suppose my main argument is how certain can you be that a goal will be scored and how do you define when you move from a penalty to a penalty goal?

We could use our fav phrase "in the opinion of the refereee"

just seems to arbitrary for something so important.

There's no other way to do it. We can all agree that Suarez should be a red, but what if he was 3 yards off the goal line? What if he's six yards off the goal line? At some point it switches from penalty goal to PK. Who decides...the ref!

Same thing when a player dribbles around a keeper. Yesterday we can probably agree that a penalty goal would be justified. What about if the keeper took him down instead? We would have been 100% fine with a PK + yellow. Once again, the ref would need to decide the magical line in which it becomes a penalty goal instead of just regular DOGSO.

There's no other way to do it. We can all agree that Suarez should be a red, but what if he was 3 yards off the goal line? What if he's six yards off the goal line? At some point it switches from penalty goal to PK. Who decides...the ref!

Same thing when a player dribbles around a keeper. Yesterday we can probably agree that a penalty goal would be justified. What about if the keeper took him down instead? We would have been 100% fine with a PK + yellow. Once again, the ref would need to decide the magical line in which it becomes a penalty goal instead of just regular DOGSO.

of course it's the ref who decides, but that's the problem! one refs clear and obvious goal is another refs potential wonder save!

it just doesn't sit right that a decision like this could be so open to individual interpretation

Kind of like how one refs PK for handball is another refs no foul?

you're not wrong

but you're deciding between a goal and a potential goal rather than a potential goal and no goal (if that makes sense). it's the ultimate match changing decision, bigger than a pen or red card. i'm not 100% against it, i just dont like the idea!

as with VAR (which i'm also not against, but dont like how it's implemented) we need a solid set of guidelines on how it would be implemented, and if VAR is anything to go by we'd not come close to getting it.

Well, took the ball by the horns and contacted a certain Mr. D. Elleray, and here is his response to my suggestion:

"Thank you for your suggestion - we have already started discussing 'penalty goals' in relation to handball on/near the goal line but will also consider your suggestion (which has been proposed previously by others).
Best wishes and thank you for writing.
David."

If it did become law, I'd be curious if the Colombia : Japan handling would be considered a penalty goal.

Back