A&H

Penalised for jumping to head the ball

GazzaJAnimal

Just a general match incident question here. I've seen this in various games, when two players jump together to head the ball we sometimes see one getting penalised for 'elbows', that is making contact with the opponent. As I see it when you jump in the air you usually use your arms in a downward movement thus gaining momentum in the leap. Inevitably this leads to the opponent getting hit. In my opinion this is accidental even when the player heads the ball but referees rarely see it as this and issue a card along with a FK or PK. Why is this?

The Referee Store
Arms come up to jump, that is a given. However there are other clues. A clenched fist when jumping is one sign that it is not just about jumping - there is something else there.

Getting hit is not inevitable. Remember - Careless, Reckless, Excessive force. If any of these apply to the use of the elbow, then a free kick and disciplinary action are appropriate.

Thanks Tealeaf. That goes a long way to explaining things and I appreciate from rugby reffing that the official is nearer the action than even some of the players, and certainly spectators, and can see these things clearer.

Arms come up to jump, that is a given. However there are other clues. A clenched fist when jumping is one sign that it is not just about jumping - there is something else there.

Getting hit is not inevitable. Remember - Careless, Reckless, Excessive force. If any of these apply to the use of the elbow, then a free kick and disciplinary action are appropriate.
Couldn't have put it any better

Back